The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Chops

Re: The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Post by Chops »

Old Blighty, coming down the tracks.

Thank you for your wishes for a safe Easter. Having avoided Covid all last year, I was struck by an automobile whilst
out enjoying the night Spring air, never mind I was lit up like a Christmas tree. Upon regaining consciousness upon
being loaded into the back of an ambulance, I politely advised the policeman and the medic that I was quite fine
and would walk the remaining three blocks home. Then I passed out again.

Upon reawakening, I was having my clothes cut off, they being soaked in gasoline from a ruptured fuel line. I had
the presence of mind not to ask for a cigarette. Only a day in hospital, they chucked me out for being so infernal;
dragging myself to the sink when refused water, I spent the remainder of the week in bed watching re-runs of "The
Love Boat," the pain generally distracting me from the listless plot lines.

Filmed "Days of Grace in Armodilloville," as excepting a broken jaw, and a few tiddly winks extending from head to toe,
I was alive to see another day, but lacked sufficient strength to run the good stuff, British OO. I have now graduated from
a borrowed walker to a cane.

Regrettably I was struck by a poor, over-taxed citizen, not a wealthy Arabian diplomat, so the settlement after the hospital
bill (one only get's free medical care if you are an illegal immigrant) should be enough to buy a small set of fishplates. So,
how was your Easter?
IanS

Post by IanS »

At the risk of this thread going off the rails, I'm glad to hear that you're on the road to recovery. Although here medical bills are rare (not totally unknown however) because of our excellent NHS, being involved in a vehicle accident can result in large insurance payouts and even when the driver is un-insured, there is a scheme for some level of payment for distress, loss of earnings and on-going care. A friends nephew received millions as he was in his 20's and needed 24 care. Sadly he has now died.
Last edited by IanS on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi Chops,
I'm sorry to hear that you were the victim of a car accident. It sounds like you've had a hard time of it, but hopefully you're feeling better, and no permanent damage done. As IanS said, here in the UK we are blessed with the NHS, which is a load off our minds when accident or ill-health strikes. Free from Fear, at least financial fear. Regarding your question about how my Easter was, it was very good although since then I've found out that one of my oldest and dearest friends has died (see Post 325).

Turning my focus back to the railway, here are some photos from March. Both my cameras (mobile and SLR) are out of action at the moment, so I'm forced to upload these oldies. I hope they aren't repeats.

Shankly

Arkwright's Mill and Shankly Gerrard Street Station

Old Faithful Approaching Old Craggy Tree
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Some more March photos.

Old Faithful Passing Saint Albright's Church

A Quiet Moment

Aerial View

I think that the out of focus foliage in the foreground of the second photo is rather Glenncairn-esque.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Looks pretty good to me, old or not. Feeling much better now, and am rather thankful that I am not confined to a wheel chair, etc. Much to be grateful for.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi Chops,
I'm glad that you're feeling somewhat better and you've got such a positive attitude. As the Monty Python boys said, "Always look on the bright side of life."

Kiosk

Walking the Dog

Still Working on the Railway

The Kiosk photo showcases one of the many bits of sticking on signs and other paper stuff to the scenic features that I've been doing over the last three or four months as part of my 'tidy up the outstanding details' campaign. Notice the reference in the second photo to our fellow MRF member WTD, whose layouts I'm sure we have all admired and whose advice is always useful and to the point.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

It's said that a picture is worth a thousand words...

View from the Buffers

Evening Drawing in

Pigs and Pylon

Shankly Looking towards Henderson Woods

Go!
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Some more photos.

Shankly

Looking Towards Shankly Main Station

Trees by the River Paisley

Vertigo
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Five thousand words' worth of more pictures.

Where Sheep Gently Graze

Janus on the Move

Carry on Shouting

A Fine View of Shankly

Days of Speed
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Waiting for the Eurostar

Level Crossing with the Little Yellow House

Another Fine View of Shankly

Hills, Trains and Automobiles

If you're wondering why there's a man wearing World War Two battle dress with a Eurostar approaching, it's because he's part of the heritage industry along with the Flying Scotsman and other details on my layout such as horses and carts at Arkwright's Mill. That's my excuse for forgetting to take him off the layout when I was trying to make the detailing of the era more coherent. Incidentally, when I was in the Air Cadets (Air Training Corps) in the late 1970s, we still wore this old style uniform although ours was in RAF blue, of course. Perhaps I should repaint this figure in RAF blue and it could be a self-portrait aged 15.

If I had painted my backscene with fewer hills, the last photo could have been Plains, Trains and Automobiles.