For the gardeners ( if we have any? )

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
teedoubleudee

Re: For the gardeners ( if we have any? )

Post by teedoubleudee »

brian1951 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:24 am Today this is going.
I've got one that needs to go Brian, can you pop over to Norfolk and do mine :D
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

Sadly im now banned from these jobs Terry, so my mate has took over, nearly done now,
Just got to sort the logs and all the chips.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Handy to have a mate in that line of work.
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

teedoubleudee wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:18 pm Handy to have a mate in that line of work.
To right Terry if you have any amount of woodland, we have a few to come down this year, we have some Ash trees which are suffering Die back. https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees- ... h-dieback/
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

The ash trees in the fields I help look after are in a bad way. We are going to have to chop down about 40. We will replace them with silver birch, flowering cherry and a few other British varieties. Keeps us off the streets.
Nurse, the screens!
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

brian1951 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:48 pm
teedoubleudee wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:18 pm Handy to have a mate in that line of work.
To right Terry if you have any amount of woodland, we have a few to come down this year, we have some Ash trees which are suffering Die back. https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees- ... h-dieback/
Wow that's horrendous. As if we didn't have enough problems with our dwindling countryside. :cry:
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

The ash is going the same way as the elm. Never mind we will replace them. Strange thing is there might be 10 trees dying but one in the middle completely healthy. It has been going on for quite a long time.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Sorry to hear about your trees Brian. We had the "tree surgeon" in last week to give our three, one hundred foot high Lime trees a health-check survey.
They all have TPO's on them - my immediate right-hand neighbour has five trees, and we all like trees. That is more than can be said for the neighbours at the rear! It's not continuous, but they moan about the falling leaves in the autumn (there are a lot :lol:), the lack of sunshine, they cannot get SKY and waking up in the morning to this high green wall is depressing.
Thankfully the tree surgeon (he had letters after his name - so I assume he knew what he was talking about), said the trees were absolutely fine, and there would be no justification in removing (thinning/pollarding) any branches from the trees. He said there were a couple of dead branches which could be removed (without planning permission) at the end of the year. We will not be giving the rear neighbours a copy of the report - they can move house. The trees have been there since about 1800 - the houses 1977.
The picture shows the right-hand tree is denser than the other two, this is because a large top portion of the tree came down in the 1987 storm - natures way of "thinning" - this is what would happen to the other trees if they were worked on.

ImageIMG_0984 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

We have the same ‘regular conversation’ with a neighbour regarding the large maple that my railway room is under.
Too much shade, too many leaves etc.
I planted the tree long before they moved in so tough luck really.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)