Steam Trains to Sovereign Street.

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Bandit Mick

Re: Steam Trains to Sovereign Street.

Post by Bandit Mick »

I am always interested to see b&w photos as I am currently building (struggling with) a box file layout using only black, white and a range of greys to make it look like an old photo.
Shunter

Post by Shunter »

I can tell you how to do it - I use a free prog called GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Programme) for some stuff I do, it takes a few clicks and a workflow a bit like de-saturate>curves>channels(boost red usually...)>contrast>unsharp mask (try a couple of pixels radius...).

If you use Photoshop (I don't nowadays, so this is an old pic...); there's something called History Brush you can use to layer images, a bit like this one - you could equally use to have a train in colour running through a mono landscape or vice-versa.

Lots of mucking about - this image I did in Norfolk took hours to get the brushing right at 100pc - but it's a nice effect.

Shunter

Post by Shunter »

Mick, the lighting will make or break the picture.

I don't know what you use to light pics but bounced flash gives you much more life-like appearance.

Otherwise you'll struggle with shadows where there shouldn't be any.

Tart it up a bit with regard to contrast/tones and should work nice regardless what colour individual elements in the picture are.

I don't use a phone to take pics but if it's what you use invest in one of those mini tripod things you can get for a tenner and check out the self-timer function (if there is one...) on your phone as you'll get a far sharper image which is key to making it look right.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Bandit Mick wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:28 pm I am always interested to see b&w photos as I am currently building (struggling with) a box file layout using only black, white and a range of greys to make it look like an old photo.
Hi B M I take pictures I want to edit on my IPad. e.g.
IMG_4877.JPG

Go to editing and then colour. Colour down to minus 100 and save.
IMG_4877 (2).JPG

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

On my iPad I select the picture hit edit, then the change colour icon (3 little circles in a triangle shape) and that gives me 10 tones to choose from Original colour to Noir. Magic
Nurse, the screens!
Shunter

Post by Shunter »

I'll start a photography thread in the Mess Room - how to take better pictures.
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Both the colour and black and white pictures are great Glencairn, I don’t always comment on all your pictures but I ialways enjoy seeing the scenes that you create. The lighting on this picture is spot on with the shadow falling on half of the track and the wagon in full sunlight. Very nice.

Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Most ambient, terrific work. I recall the days when B & W was a high art form in the silver nitrate days, and spending hours and hours
trying to get it just right.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Puddles wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:15 am Both the colour and black and white pictures are great Glencairn, I don’t always comment on all your pictures but I ialways enjoy seeing the scenes that you create. The lighting on this picture is spot on with the shadow falling on half of the track and the wagon in full sunlight. Very nice.

Puddles

Thank you for your comments, Puddles. Glad you like the pictures. As for the lighting? Just pure lucky. No fancy 'trickery'. A south facing bedroom with sunlight shining in through the windows.

Chops wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:52 pm Most ambient, terrific work. I recall the days when B & W was a high art form in the silver nitrate days, and spending hours and hours
I have never got into photography. Take a picture and hope for the best. I must admit I did like taking B&W pictures though.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Chops wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:52 pm Most ambient, terrific work. I recall the days when B & W was a high art form in the silver nitrate days, and spending hours and hours
Had a scary moment.
First started developing 16mm black and white film back in 1968 on nightwork processing the rushes ready for the morning. Mostly BBC Programmes and telerecordings. Remember opening an old can of nitrate negative that had been in the vaults for donkeys years and had not been stored very well, it had been sweating and had started to weep nitroglycerin into the can.
Very gently put it down, notified the emergency services who took it away and safely disposed it.
Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.