I have been passed down some engines and carridges.

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
Cleggy89

I have been passed down some engines and carridges.

Post by Cleggy89 »

Hi all,

I have been passed down a lot of parts for a model railway including track, trains and carridges. All are used but look like a good clean would sort the majority out. I also have the transformers included, this is not to sell here but rather see if these would be good for a model train collector or if its not worth keeping. I will include pictures bellow.

Many thanks

Martin

Brian

Re: I have been passed down some engines and carridges.

Post by Brian »

OO items and all look ok to me to sell.. Are you able to test any locos run correctly?
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Cleggy89

Post by Cleggy89 »

Hi Brian,
Is there a way to test these without powered rail? I dont mind taking the time to check them.

Thanks

Martin
Brian

Post by Brian »

Cleggy89 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:37 pm Hi Brian,
Is there a way to test these without powered rail? I dont mind taking the time to check them.

Thanks

Martin
Hi
Yes use a new PP3 9volt battery across the pick up wheels or better to a short section of track. Of course the loco will not be controllable and will move forward or in reverse at almost full speed, but it does prove all things are working! :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Cleggy89

Post by Cleggy89 »

Hi Brian,

Cheers for the help, will buy myself a battery and give it a go. Hopefully they will work and be able to get them off to a good home.

Thanks again

Martin
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

I don't think you have anything there that is going to make your fortune. But if you feel inclined you could probably get £100-£150 from the lot on ebay. I would suggest you sell them as 'bundles', apart from the engines which might be worth selling separately. The only engine I recognise is the Lima Deltic, Fife & Forfar Yeomanry. It looks in good condition apart from the different coloured bogie? You might get £30 for that if it runs OK.

I suggest:
bundle of tank wagons
bundle of coal wagons
bundle of vans
bundle of track
bundle of carriages
bundle of miscellaneous wagons. I think one thing you have is the Triang missile launcher without the missiles?

The other option is to buy a copy of Railway Modeller and offer it to one of the many advertisers who are ostensibly desperate for 2nd hand model railway stuff.
Last edited by darkscot on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
Cleggy89

Post by Cleggy89 »

Hi Darkscot,

Thank you for the advice, theat sounds like a good idea putting them in bundles. I didn't think there was great value in this but something is better than nothing and itl go towards a new hobby for my son.
Sadly model trains are not what we are interested in even though I can appreciate the builds people have on here.

Thanks again

Martin
IanS

Post by IanS »

darkscot wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:16 pm I don't think you have anything there that is going to make your fortune. But if you feel inclined you could probably get £100-£150 from the lot on ebay. I would suggest you sell them as 'bundles', apart from the engines which might be worth selling separately. The only engine I recognise is the Lima Deltic, Fife & Forfar Yeomanry. It looks in good condition apart from the different coloured bogie? You might get £30 for that if it runs OK.

I suggest:
bundle of tank wagons
bundle of coal wagons
bundle of vans
bundle of track
bundle of carriages
bundle of miscellaneous wagons. I think one thing you have is the Triang missile launcher without the missiles?

The other option is to buy a copy of Railway Modeller and offer it to one of the many advertisers who are ostensibly desperate for 2nd hand model railway stiff.
I agree - look on Ebay and at photos of locos and copy the angles and post as many as they allow for each loco. The track looks like it is a mix of steel track and rusted and slightly better nickel plated. Track fetches very little online as postage costs (it weighs a lot) are often higher than the value. Try Gumtree or other similar site (Shpock) for collection
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

darkscot wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:16 pm The other option is to buy a copy of Railway Modeller and offer it to one of the many advertisers who are ostensibly desperate for 2nd hand model railway stiff.
And haggle! I have recently improved an offer from Hornby by £70.
R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

There is at least one loco I would be interested in. The Lima class 09. (The blue 6 wheel diesel) That is only if you want to sell it. I thought at first that it was a Wrenn class 08 but looking closer and it is a Lima 09. Just as useful. :) I realize it is a bit battered and missing its buffers and a wheel nut from the looks of it. For me it has either narrow gauge conversion potential or potential to use as spares to keep a narrow gauge loco going that I have which uses the same chassis.

The collection may not have anything that rare, but it does offer fun to someone if you are not going to use it yourself. Some items may seem like scrap, but people do find even scrap useful for the parts so rarely does anything go to waste. Everything is useful and has a value.

I went to a toy and train sale to sell some of my collection as I am more interested in 7mm narrow gauge which uses 00 gauge chassis... So I have plenty of 00 gauge items spare that I am not intending to use. What surprized me was how fast card kits and small scenic items were being sold. These are rhe things I had assumed would not sell. How wrong I was!
But railway and model railway books and origional railway posters etc did not sell at any price. I offered some of the old posters. Not one sold and no one was interested. It surprized me because on TV they say they that old railway posters are saught after. No one wanted me to open them up to even look at them. Most of my posters are from British Railway days, or very early privitization E.G. Red Star Parcels poster and a large early Network South East map. Unfortunately they are too large to post so I can't sell them in here as I would have to post them. If it comes to it, I can always use the backs as very large sheets of paper!

But in regards to locos, coaches and wagons. They all have a value and even scenic items do.

What about seeing if there is going to be a toy and train fair near you and hiring a table or two and see what offers you get?
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...