A Loose Wire

Post here items relating to other model railway manufacturers.
2027Joe

Re: A Loose Wire

Post by 2027Joe »

WTD

I have done that and coiled the rest up out of the way.

Thank you for your help
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

As long as the loco runs OK that’s all that matters.
Nurse, the screens!
RFS

Post by RFS »

2027Joe wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:11 pm Robert & WTD

I have touched the green wire to the tag on the trailing bogie and the loco refused to move.
I have had a good look and I cannot see any other tags to which the green wire should be soldered to.

One end of the green wire is indeed soldered to the brushes on one side with a smaller wire from that going down to the bogie chassis, (I think !). But where the other end of the green wire should go,I don't know. :|
The smaller wire will be connecting to the pickups on the motor bogie. Sounds like there should be similar pickups on the trailing bogie which this loose green wire should be connecting to. Can you see these on both bogies?
Robert Smith
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I believe later models may have had two sets of pickups on the trailing bogie but there would have been a hole in the chassis for the wire to pass through to access the pickups.

The main pickups are connected to the pin holding the bogie in place with the tag with the black wire. The loco usually gets power from one side of the power bogie and the other side of the trailing bogie. As I said I fitted my own pickups to one side of the trailing bogie then attached a wire to them in the same manner as the green wire, but had to drill an access hole in the chassis to attach the (green) wire to the added pickups.

Early models did not come with pickups both sides of the trailing bogie. In fact the wheels on one side of the bogie are live to the axle and the pin holding the bogie in place rubs on the axle transferring power via the pin, clip, black wire to the motor.
Nurse, the screens!