Which first

Help with designing your track work
Peter.Hutton64

Which first

Post by Peter.Hutton64 »

When cleaning track do you clean with alcohol then rub down with a rubber cleaner or visa versa?
Walkingthedog

Re: Which first

Post by Walkingthedog »

Depends how dirty. The rubber is ideal for shifting difficult to remove patches. Generally the alcohol will suffice. So rubber the alcohol or just alcohol.
Nurse, the screens!
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

One thing not mentioned is use of a rubber then involves use of a vacuum to shift the rubber particles left behind. I originally used a Dapol Track Cleaner in vacuum mode but unfortunately its shoddy design led to most of the vacuumed muck engulfing the motor due to lack of adequate seals to the dust compartment, causing the motor to draw more current until ultimately the motor died and the pick up circuits failed due to the current drawn. A better option I found was a mini vacuum with a hose like this https://www.google.com/search?q=Black+% ... gws_rd=ssl
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I’ve used a track rubber for decades and have never vacuumed after. :)
Nurse, the screens!
Chops

Post by Chops »

I've had a bit of luck with Wahl's Hair Clipper Oil, first brought to my attention by the professional model railroader Lionel Strange. The idea of putting oil upon model rail struck me as daft at the time, but when I used to run DCC, some moons ago, I would do a thorough wipe down with alcohol, dry it off with a lint free rag, and was afforded barely 45 minutes of running time before the decoders started not responding to throttle commands. What with the Wahl's I apply it, wipe it off, and forget about it for weeks at a time. Also works tremendously on the locomotive wheels.

Among other things I've tried: silverware polish, Goo Gone, expensive track cleaning cars, abrasive rubber, expensive track cleaning fluids. All not much good, in my personal estimation, for one reason or another. I believe in Wahl's.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

I mostly use a rubber and occasionally use Track Magic around/on the points. I hoover up afterwards - but be careful what you suck up - I recently had a very unfortunate incident with a pair of point clips!
Peter.Hutton64

Post by Peter.Hutton64 »

Thanks for the replies guys. It's the big clean up day before I start designing the new layout.
RSR Engineer

Post by RSR Engineer »

Interesting, Chops's use of Wahl's. I had some s/h Peco Streamline "treated" (i.e. galvanised) steel track, which I tried to clean (in the first instance) with WD40. I was rightly warned off this and "rinsed" it off with lighter fuel. I finally got the rails clean (hard to tell by looking, since this stuff doesn't take a polish like N/S) with stainless steel polish (for the kitchen sink) applied judiciously to save the zinc plating. This I also rinsed afterwards with lighter fuel. Test running was good, no arcing, no hesitation, no ammeter wiggle. The same procedure was applied to old N/S track, which comes up nice and bright. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Artur
steel bat

Post by steel bat »

I use a track rubber on really dirty rails, otherwise a bit of methylated spirit on a rag and then a wipe with a clean cloth.
Maz066

Post by Maz066 »

Roll on battery power technology :geek:
Peter