The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
IanAlan

Re: The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Post by IanAlan »

Shankly, Sweet Shankly. I like that.

Class 73 Locomotive Approaching Work Party

The Little Red Locomotive

Old Faithful Approaching

Gone with the Wind

Put Your Back into It
Chops

Post by Chops »

An emphasis on people, well done.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Yes, the Shankly and Gdynia Railway is well populated. Perhaps if Britain's railways had had as many passengers in real life, they wouldn't have suffered so many closures.

During the summer, I visited my sister in Lincolnshire and took a little stroll around the town on the Sunday morning. Looking into a second-hand shop window, I could see two HO Lima train sets, priced £30 (locomotive and three coaches) and £35 (locomotive and six wagons). My stock are exclusively 00, but at that price, I thought I'd take a gamble. Of course, being a Sunday, the shop was closed. So I left the £65 with my sister's husband, Kevin, and asked him to buy them for me. This he duly did and delivered them here (Essex) last weekend. I hadn't expected the locomotives to work at all, so I was pleasantly surprised that one of them did. The other sort of shuddered when the current was turned on, but otherwise remained immobile. I've put both back in the boxes with the track and controllers, which I haven't even taken out. I'll service the locomotives at some point in the near future and see if the dodgy one can be brought back to life. The wagons and coaches are now on the layout and are being pulled by my 00 Class 73 and Old Faithful, and I must say that I'm very pleased with my purchase. All the rolling stock has plastic wheels, so I'll have to investigate the wheel size to see if I can replace them with metal ones.

New Trains on the Block

IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Some more images of the Lima trains although this time they include the Lima locomotives. I must confess that these are posed photos. That's to say I placed the locomotives onto the track by hand rather than 'drive' them to the place that I wanted them. But, hey, I think they look good.

IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

And some more Lima photos (with Old Faithful and a Triang crane sneaking in).

Chops

Post by Chops »

Delightful! :)
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Thank you Chops. Here's some more to delight (I hope).

Glorious Morning

All's Go at Shankly

Coming Your Way

Sunday Courtship
Chops

Post by Chops »

A most electrifying courtship. The Shankley is booming.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Nice one Chops. :lol: Yes, you're right, from the very first time they met, there was a spark. ;)

I must confess that the two figures do look very olde worlde in contrast to the 20th century pylon they are standing near. This is hardly in keeping with my stated aim of trying to make the trains, figures and scenery more coherent regarding era. But I had a hunch that they would look good together having just come out of church making use of their once-a-week chance to engage in a little polite courtship. In the olden days, respectable folk didn't rush that kind of thing. I won't say "Those were the days."

Back to the Lima trains...

IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Today is the 40th anniversary of the death of Bill Shankly, so all flags fly at half mast in Shankly. With the death of Liverpool and England great Roger Hunt on Monday, it's a time of quite reflection on the Shankly and Gdynia Railway. That said, the boys in red showed their respect in the most appropriate possible way by going out and winning 5-1 last night.

Old Faithful Leaving Paisley Tunnel

Time for Tea

The Little Giant Passing the Station Hotel

Class 73 at Gdynia Docks

Freezing Morning Shankly

I might rename the Station Hotel with a more LFC inspired name.