Running old locomotives on DCC.

FattishBoy

Running old locomotives on DCC.

Post by FattishBoy »

Hi everyone first post, Iam looking to get my layout back up and running after a long time and thinking about going over to DCC the thing is all of the loco's I have are not DCC. I have an old triang blue Pullman loco that must be over fifty year old also have a BR Mallard and Sir Nigel Gresley die cast Wrenn locos which are well over forty year old and would like to see them running again.
So will I have to stay with DC or is there an option to get these old loco's working on DCC.
Any advice appreciated as the technology has changed a lot since I was last up the loft.
Forfarian

Re: Running old locomotives on DCC.

Post by Forfarian »

I'm not sure, but I would think most of your locos are not compatible with DCC and probably split chassis, other more knowledgeable than myself will be able to help on that.
A list of the locos you have will help confirm their compatibility.
You will also need to install a bus wire system to power your track, which if its the same age as your locos could be steel and rusty, the modern track is Nickel steel which does not rust.
Lots of info here
https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk
Good luck with your project
Last edited by Forfarian on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forfarian aka Tim
Of course I talk to myself, I sometimes need expert advice!
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

Virtually any loco can be converted to DCC, it's just a matter of how difficult it is, how expensive and how much time and some rare models may be very badly devalued by doing so. I'm not familiar with Wrenn models but have heard that they may be possible to convert, but would you really want to? The Triang models are often extremely easy to convert.

Most of the older models draw a lot more power than modern models and require a good quality decoder to get the best out of them. The basic Hornby R8249 decoder isn't up to the job, having a continuous current rating of just 500mA.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

my understanding is that these old locos, must br very good runners on DC, before any attempt made to convert, as . if not, they will under perform. I would be inclined to leave as is. If you wish to have a DCC layout, i would do so, with newer/ DCC ready locos. Totally agree about the Wren. You will certainly affect its value. I have many old locos, and kept them, original, adding a small DCC setup, alongside my DC one. DCC, is not cheap, and it may be, you decide to stay DC. Many do. Its in my view, just as interesting.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Do a Google searches on

DCC Triang Pullman

and

wrenn dcc conversion

They will bring up a number of useful links.

The key is to ensure the motor terminals are isolated from the track pick ups and that the decoder you fit can cope with the stall current of the loco - connect a multimeter set to read amps in series with the track supply and hold the loco to stall it making a note of the maximum current drawn.
FattishBoy

Post by FattishBoy »

Thanks for the advice, dont think I shall tamper with the Wrenns but might have a go at trying to convert the others. There is quiet a bit info on the net showing you how to fit decoders.
JohnGillott

Post by JohnGillott »

I have converted Wren locos to DCC, you have to drill out a brush holder then insert insulation and new brush holder. It does work the problem is that you need a higher amp decoder, old locos draw more current on start up. John At YouChoos will supply decoder if available. The conversion parts were ordered from Coopertrains.com. I have converted Wrenn A4, 2-6-4 Tank and 0-6-0 shunter and the conversion works problem is locating correct decoder.