The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Chops

Re: The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Post by Chops »

Utterly Shankley. I am Shanked, again.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi Chops,
Like Shakespeare, you've added a new word to the English Language; the verb 'to shank' - here used in the passive voice - presumably meaning something like 'to be mildly pleased or satisfied'.

I haven't uploaded anything for a week as I've had a busy week partly because I had a job interview today. My first ever online (and wearing suit, shirt, tie and slippers). It went well (I think) and I'll find out by Friday if I got the job.

Back to the trains.

Flying Scotsman

Old and New

Working on the Railway

Waiting Around at Shankly
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

On 'the street', to shank means stabbing.
Don't I mix in fine society? ;)
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Thanks for that contribution Steve. You learn something new every day, as they say.

Peek-a-boo

Car Transporter Passing Shankly

Down Amongst the Ironwork

Wakey, Wakey, Rise and Shine
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

I mentioned last week that I'd had my first ever online job interview. Sad to say, but I didn't get the job. :cry: Oh well, there are still model trains. :lol:

Storm Clouds Rolling in

Bay View

Double Portrait

Man's Best Friend
andruec

Post by andruec »

IanAlan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:04 pm Hi Chops,
Like Shakespeare, you've added a new word to the English Language; the verb 'to shank' - here used in the passive voice - presumably meaning something like 'to be mildly pleased or satisfied'.
If only that were true...

A lot of golfers are only too familiar with the verb and it definitely does not have positive connotations. Thankfully it's one problem I've so far managed to avoid :)
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi Andruec,
Many thanks for pointing that out. Funnily enough, having got through 58 years of life without coming across the verb 'to shank' (or at least not noticing it), there it was in a BBC Football match report of England versus Hungary - lamenting that Harry Kane had 'shanked the ball' wide of the goal. It wasn't until I read the definition that I was able to understand exactly how he had missed. On the other hand, I know the noun 'shank' very well as in lamb shank for Sunday dinner. A good idea, and a fitting finale to this linguistic discussion.

Locomotive Selection

Flying Scotsman

Janus

Class 73 and Shunter

B17 Liverpool

and (one for luck)...

Container and Passenger

Changing the subject. Viewers of this thread will remember that in September I uploaded some photos of my new (second-hand) Lima locomotives and rolling stock, but I wonder if any of you noticed anything else new that appeared at this time. Not locomotives or rolling stock, but connected with scenic features. Have a look in Post 400 and see what you can spot. I'm hoping to take and upload some photos with 'something new' over the next few days. So watch this space!
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi Everyone,
It's been a busy week again, so I haven't had time to take any photos of my new scenic addition to the SGR. Instead, here are some from last month.

Another Day, Another Bay View

School Outing

Surrealist Landscape
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

I managed to pull my finger out and got the camera working. As you can see below, I've added a long thin extension to the right side of the baseboard. This serves two functions: Firstly, it's a physical barrier that stops trains falling to the floor if they derail. It's nice to be able to remove the cushions that have been on the wooden flooring for the last three years. It makes it easier for me to walk along the narrow space (now even narrower) to switch the electricity on and off, and to reach that part of the layout. Secondly, it provides a more realistic break between the board (and trains) and the backscene. I've deliberately echoed the hills on the backscene although I admit that it would have been a good place to put a station as it's the longest straight track (with space behind it) on the layout. I'm working on a platform to go on the near side of the level crossing just out of the fourth photo.

Where the Hills Roll down to the Sea

Industry and Nature

Hold onto Your Hat

Windy Day

I took the photos yesterday when it really was windy outside, so those last two photos were topical although you may have to do a bit of searching to find the hat-holding man.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

It's been a busy week at work, but I've been doing some work on the new Arkwright's Mill station platform - small step by small step. Hopefully, it'll be on the layout by next weekend even if some of the bits that are to go on it won't be finished.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I'd had my first ever Zoom job interview, but didn't get the job. Since then I've had another and this time, I did get the job. It's part time, but will supplement my current - irregular - work nicely. There's life in the old dog yet. :D

And there are model trains.