A turntable in fiddle yard - Dapol kit or homemade?

Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building or something related.
Simon_100

A turntable in fiddle yard - Dapol kit or homemade?

Post by Simon_100 »

Simple question really. I need a TT to reverse locos as well and put them of other tracks for running around thier trains without needing points.

I'm pretty handy with the fretsaw, etc. but just buying acheap kit could save a lot of time, trial and error with designs, etc. Anyone have any tips, experience, opinions, or, well, anything!

Thanks people
Brian

Re: A turntable in fiddle yard - Dapol kit or homemade?

Post by Brian »

The Dapol TT fits above the baseboard and has no provision to power the TT rails! It is something you have to resolve. IMO the better, but more expensive option, is the Peco TT which sits in a hole cut into the baseboard and has half circle wiper contacts for the TT rotating bridge rails so it automatically corrects rail polarity as its turned, either by hand, mechanical means or an electric motor. Then there is the Hornby offering which like the Dapol version is above baseboard fitted and AFAIK still sold as electrically powered.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Peco TT is an excellent product in my view.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I agree with the above, the Peco TT is excellent (I have one on my Low Ghyll layout). Motorised using the Locomotech system.
Like you, I needed a simple and inexpensive TT for my yard and with limited space under the board I couldn’t use the Peco version. I fitted the Dapol kit and found a relatively simple and cost effective way to solve the problem of getting power to the rails - documented on my West Orton thread.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3731&start=260
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I agree with Brian, WTD and Steve M, the Peco turntable, fitted with the Locomotech motor is a first class choice. I have attached a picture of my fiddle yard during construction with the turntable at the end of the fiddle yard. As I use Kadee couplings, I have installed magnets under the track about a tender loco's length from the t/t. this enable's the loco to uncouple, be turned, run down a track always kept free of stock, and then be attached onto whatever, to go back to where it came from on the layout. With hindsight (they'd sold out when I did this :lol: ) the magnetised area could have been a couple of inches longer to allow for a little more "back and forth" movement while uncoupling. Turntable is operated via an H&M Clipper controller bought on ebay.

Image100_0392 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Thanks folks, I'm finishing a large order from Hattons before I start building the layout and need the turntable sorted before I do anything else.
The Peco now looks like the best choice, no need for a motor but the wiring solution looks ideal :)
But how much space do you need under the baseboard level?
Brian

Post by Brian »

About 25mm (Dont have one the measure) I doubt if its any more
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

The well is 12mm deep and there is not a great deal below that if you are operating it handraulically.
Nurse, the screens!
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Walkingthedog wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:11 pm The well is 12mm deep and there is not a great deal below that if you are operating it handraulically.
Thanks for this, there's plenty of room then :)
Brian wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:20 am The Dapol TT fits above the baseboard and has no provision to power the TT rails! It is something you have to resolve. IMO the better, but more expensive option, is the Peco TT which sits in a hole cut into the baseboard and has half circle wiper contacts for the TT rotating bridge rails so it automatically corrects rail polarity as its turned, either by hand, mechanical means or an electric motor. Then there is the Hornby offering which like the Dapol version is above baseboard fitted and AFAIK still sold as electrically powered.
Are you saying that the electrical connection to the rotating bridge are already there? Ideally I'd like to make the contacts directly to the five tracks that I have so that as the bridge aligns with the track it makes the connections and gives power to the rails on the bridge. Is that what you're saying?
Brian

Post by Brian »

The Peco TT has means of applying power to the TT rails, but not the entrance or exit tracks. The Dapol TT has no means provided for powering of any tracks either approach, exit or on the TT bridge deck. You have to resolve these.