Hornby: A model world TV series

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
Walkingthedog

Re: Hornby: A model world TV series

Post by Walkingthedog »

Watched it yesterday. Thought the upside down train was a bit quirky but all in all very interesting. The idiot in his loft is next week, will poke cocktail sticks in my eyes until he is gone.
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

teedoubleudee wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:09 pm
sandy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:45 am I have enjoyed all of the them so far. Amaising to see all the developement that goes into a simple plastic kit. And the time it takes.
I understand now why they cost so much.
They were 2 shillings (10p) when I first started making them. Came in a plastic bag with a stapled cardboard top. Prices started going up when they began putting the kits in full cardboard boxes :D
Yes remember them well I had Arfix aircraft hanging down from my bedroom cieling, loads of them. I got 2 bob pocket money and got one nearly every week. Had to wait for birth days or Christmas for the bigger ones like the Lancaster ect.
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Same here, the Spitfire was the first kit I built with my dad. My bedroom was like Farnborough Air Show. Must have had the biggest collection of dust in Bucks. .
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I had shelves specially built in my bedroom back in the 50's to display my Airfix airraft collection. I still fancy the 1/24 Mosquito - ridiculous prices on Ebay.
dtb

Post by dtb »

Since my father passed my mother has been clearing out the attic and last year gifted me all the kits that used to adorn the bedroom ceiling i the 70s and which had sat in the attic for 40 years. The kits included many Spits, Hurricanes, Blenheim, Beaufighters, Sunderland, Stirling, Lancaster, B25, B29 plus more American, German and Japanese aeroplanes.

Hadn't a clue what to do with them as many parts were missing or broken they were only really fit for recycle, that is until the neighbour saw them and his work colleague asked if he could have them. They were for his son who enjoyed kit bashing Airfix kits. We gladly handed them over and it was good to know they went to a good home even though they may have been broken for parts at least they didn't end up in the recycle and someone got some enjoyment out of the kits that were near on 50 years old.
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Those were the days of no I phones or video games just Airfix kits, meccano, Dinky toys, Hornby and Triangle trains.
Wonderful memories of my childhood sitting at our old oak table in the south facing bay window with the sun shining through whilst making up those Airfix plastic kits.

Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

dtb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:25 am ............................................. We gladly handed them over and it was good to know they went to a good home .................................
This reminded me that my "air force" (about 20 a/c) was removed from my bedroom ceiling, sometime during my later teen years and I gave them to the little Irish lad next door, (about 8 years old I'd guess). Next thing I knew he had tried to "fly" each and every one of them from his first floor bedroom window! I nearly cried!
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

teedoubleudee wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:09 pm

They were 2 shillings (10p) when I first started making them. Came in a plastic bag with a stapled cardboard top. Prices started going up when they began putting the kits in full cardboard boxes :D
I built a load of tank kits in my time and remember in the instructions you were told to save the staples from the packaging in order to link the strips of track together. First tank I made involved a quick dive into the rubbish bin to recover the package and the staples. Happy days!

Richard
dtb

Post by dtb »

teedoubleudee wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:11 am
dtb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:25 am ............................................. We gladly handed them over and it was good to know they went to a good home .................................
This reminded me that my "air force" (about 20 a/c) was removed from my bedroom ceiling, sometime during my later teen years and I gave them to the little Irish lad next door, (about 8 years old I'd guess). Next thing I knew he had tried to "fly" each and every one of them from his first floor bedroom window! I nearly cried!
As kids we did that to a couple of kits we didn't want any longer but for more realism we added a piece of firelighter which was lit before we despatched them from the bedroom window. :shock:
Needless to say this wasn't when the parents were around :lol: