Solenoid motors heating up

Brian

Re: Solenoid motors heating up

Post by Brian »

Any make of CDU will be fine. Gaugemaster. BlockSignalling both are good, with BlockSignalling offering larger capacitance CDUs in their range https://blocksignalling.co.uk/DC-Products. 1 or 50 points on the layout doesn't matter as usually only one or two motors are moved together. Recharging from the power supply you mention should take micro seconds
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
WhyD

Post by WhyD »

Great, thank you all - I'll add the CDU and hopefully that will stop my little global warming. :roll:
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

I have a pair of GM CDUs - totally reliable and capable of throwing paired solenoids. I use two simply for geographic reasons as the layout has two distinct points areas, so it makes sense to run each side with its own CDU to keep the wiring tidy.
WhyD

Post by WhyD »

Just thought I'd circle back -

GM CDU installed and so far things are looking great.
Realised I ruined 3 other motors in my previous attempts :( - they are now moving much more slowly, but putting new ones in their place works a treat

An expensive mistake, but a good lesson

thanks all
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Good to hear your problem is solved. This can be an expensive hobby when things go wrong :cry:

Richard
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Normally a CDU provides a whack to a solenoid making it move quicker than it was doing under a non-CDU supply so saying they are moving slower would imply as I suggested earlier the 10amp supply you are using is giving out far more than 16/18v due to far lower current draw.