Practical size?

Help with designing your track work
gracefield

Practical size?

Post by gracefield »

Hi everyone, I need a little advice from people who know a lot more than I do.

I would love to build a small layout, but the only space I have available to me is a very modest table (60cms by 100cms).

In a nutshell, how practical would it be to put an N gauge layout on that? I know it won't be much of a layout in that confined space, but is it worth thinking about?

I used to have trains as a child, I'm now in my 50s and I've always wanted to get back to it in some way, but if I leave it much longer, it won't happen.

I think a smaller layout would actually be better in my case since I'm effectively new to it and I'm not terribly handy, so I shouldn't bite off anything to large to start with.

Thanks for any help.
Russell

Edit: Actually, I would have some additional space where the table is, so I could add a slightly larger board on top to allow more space. I assume plywood would be the best option here. But what is the minimum size that I would really need in order to do anything worthwhile..? Thanks
Tricky Dicky

Re: Practical size?

Post by Tricky Dicky »

If your after a “tail chaser” then you could just about construct an oval in your 1m length but probably not much more and operational interest would be limited.

A fiddle yard to layout based on something like a branch line terminus combined with a small goods yard would provide plenty of operational scope with shunting. A lot depends on what your circumstances are and how much room overall you have? A few more details are required. Is the layout a permanent feature on the table or do you require the table for other uses?

Richard
gracefield

Post by gracefield »

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. The table would be permanent, there would be no need to remove the layout from it. I think I would be able to fix a layout board on top that would be in the region of 120cms by 70cms.

Is there some source that you could direct me to that might have some N gauge track plans that could work for me?

Many thanks...
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

You could try here;

https://freetrackplans.com/index.html

and some here

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/tec ... lan-ideas/

and here

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/sergioseelo ... out-plans/

Peco have a publication titled "Track Plans" specifically for n-gauge but that will have to be purchased.

Google is your friend to find sources.

Richard
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

I would go with Tricky Dicky’s suggestion and go with something like a BLT or even a shunting yard. Starting small gives you the opportunity to try different techniques and hone skills. Also, a smaller layout lends itself to being finished and costs less. Look on micro layout websites to give you ideas and to see what is achievable. Mind you I’m a bit biased as I do like a good micro! Whatever you decide to do I’m sure you’ll enjoy the experience and there’s lots of good advice available on this friendly forum.
gracefield

Post by gracefield »

Many thanks guys, I'm looking forward to get something on the go soon...
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

60cm x 100cm... That is about 2ft x 3ft 3inches or thereabouts.
You would be surprized what can fit in that size and you do not neccessarily have to use such a small scale if one does not want to.

N gauge will certainly turn to make a small oval layout as what would be a 6x4 in 00 will be a 3x2 in N. (I am used to working in feet and inches when using wood as it is easier).

The next possibility without going smaller again such as Z or T is to turn to narrow gauge, and the first to mention is the 009 / H0e route to take. H0e is the narrow gauge of H0 and 009 is the narrow gauge of 00 and both share the same gauge and use the same couplings and the scale difference is less noticable, so they can freely mix. Narrow gauge does tend to have different roof heights and widths anyway so any differences add character to ones layout. The gauge width is the same as N gauge so they will run on N gauge track if needed though the sleepers will look a bit small.

And think that a larger scale again is not an option? Think again as I model in 7mm narrow gauge and so do others like PinkNosedPenguin (I think he is on this site? Like me he is on more then one site so if he is not he can be found. His layout is 2ft wide and around 3 or 4 ft long. My layout is 2ft wide and just under 7ft long. Both of us have an oval of track on our layouts in this scale).
7mm narrow gauge (The narrow gauge of 0 scale which we run on the same track gauge width as 00 and H0) is known in the UK as 0-16.5, and in the EU as 0e and in the USA as 0n30, and if one is careful on choosing smaller locos such as 0-4-0's and short wheelbase 0-6-0's, and keeps to shorter 4 wheel coaches etc, one can easily run ones trains in a small space. The advantages are that the larger scale does tend to be nice to model in when making things and painting things, and also, I can park a loco and five coaches in a shorter space then most people will need to park their 00 gauge loco and coaches in, as my loco and five coaches takes up the same length as a 00 gauge bogie diesel and just two bogie coaches... So you start to see how space saving narrow gauge even in 7mm scale can be!

I offer these alternatives just to show the possibilities out there and say that just because one has a small space, it doesn't mean that one can't enjoy the hobby!

Whichever scale and gauge you decide to use, have fun and enjoy!
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Nowhere man

Post by Nowhere man »

You could always put up a narrow shelf like i have done in my shed, its only 6inches wide, if you want continuous running put return loop either end
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Many years back I had a 00 gauge layout purely on an old ironing board. It had a station, a run round facility, an engine shed in front of the single track fiddle yard. It also had two spurs to a goods yard. One spur to a goods shed, the other to a cattle/horse dock. A small piece of wood was attached to the board to house the controller. I ran 0.4.0 locomotives, four wheeled trucks and carriages. The beauty of it, was that being an ironing board it folded and was easy to put away. Simple and great fun.

My 00 gauge Leeds Sovereign Street Station section of my layout is less than 4ftx2ft. with a small fiddle yard it can be operated as is. My Clarence Dock Goods Yard is of a similar size. One of my grandchildren likes to operate that on his own.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

have a look at Z gauge. Peco, sell the track, and you could fit an awful lot in that space.