Boards around the wall

All posts regarding baseboard construction
Nowhere man

Boards around the wall

Post by Nowhere man »

You would think building base boards mostly 6inches wide around a shed wall would be fairly straightforward NO,I made a corner board complete with back boards, the board is 12 inches by 12 inches using a square to check all the time offered it up to the wall and guess what, the shed isn't square the corner is more like 95 degrees.so if you hold it against one wall it's about half an inch off on the other end.this would put all the other boards out. So I cut a new board out but this time held one side against one wall pushed it up against the other wall put a thin batton against the second wall resting on the board drew a line on the board where the batton rested and cut along the line. I now have a base board top which fits now i can complete this board and do the same with the other three corners. I thought this might save someone else making the same mistake so remember dont asume anything is square CHECK.
Mr Bones

Re: Boards around the wall

Post by Mr Bones »

My house doesn't know what square is let alone my shed :lol:
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Sliding Bevel Gauge, the answer. That way you get perfect fit every time.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Quite right John, work every time.

Nurse, the screens!
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Well, my Dad had a big square, say 2 foot perside, made when he built a brick double garage.
He's gone now but I still have the square and frequently use it.
If the panels are in good condition I think I'd be tempted to square up the shed. Secure the base on 1 corner with bolt into ground anchor then push/pull opposite corner to square up and 2nd anchor. Possibly need to release bolts holding roof on first.
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Nowhere man wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:01 pm You would think building base boards mostly 6inches wide around a shed wall would be fairly straightforward NO,I made a corner board complete with back boards, the board is 12 inches by 12 inches using a square to check all the time offered it up to the wall and guess what, the shed isn't square the corner is more like 95 degrees.so if you hold it against one wall it's about half an inch off on the other end.this would put all the other boards out. So I cut a new board out but this time held one side against one wall pushed it up against the other wall put a thin batton against the second wall resting on the board drew a line on the board where the batton rested and cut along the line. I now have a base board top which fits now i can complete this board and do the same with the other three corners. I thought this might save someone else making the same mistake so remember dont asume anything is square CHECK.
The process is called scribing. On a longer length such as a kitchen worktop you position your top against the wall it is to fit, find the point with the biggest gap and cut a small piece of material ideally slightly wider than the gap. To mark the cut line run the small scribing block along the wall resting on the worktop and hold a pencil against the block marking a line on the work top.

Richard
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

yup, use the process, when necessary, but much simpler, with the tools WTD, has shown. My adjustable square is yellow, and was invaluable, when laying floor tiles. Should be in your toolbags. Saw mine at the Harrogate woodworkers show. I really miss shows like this. They have nothing similar in France.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Thank you Tricky Dicky for that simple reminder - I have worktops to be fitted in the kitchen of my holiday flat and for certain nothing will be square - love how this forum helps even on non-railways related aspects.

Cheers - Richard
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

we used to chat regularly about tools/ machines, as several of us are big in DIY. Got into trouble, with length of the thread.
Nowhere man

Post by Nowhere man »

Looks like I need a sliding beval what ever that is,