Changing CVs

teedoubleudee

Re: Changing CVs

Post by teedoubleudee »

Mike Parkes wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:45 pm
Brian wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:05 pm The JMRI software allows loco control via a SPROG, so I don't really understand the question?
I've used Decoder Pro for years to program - I know Panel Pro will control a layout but is there a simple way of test running a newly programmed loco.
Yes Mike, I'll get back later this morning.
Terry
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
teedoubleudee

Re: Changing CVs

Post by teedoubleudee »

Mike and John (Yelrow),

Rather than try and answer your questions directly can I please ask you to go to the following site:
http://sprog.us.com/download.html
From here you can download the latest Decoder Pro software (July 2021). From the same site download the excellent pdf entitled "Sprog IIv4 User Guide".

This will tell you everything you need to know about connecting the Sprog to the PC/Laptop via USB, 12v regulated PSU, loading drivers etc. And you MUST have latest Java software installed too!

To drive a locomotive once you know the address:
From the main Decoder Pro window, select (from top row) Actions/New Throttle. This will open a new small floating window (see p 20 of user guide). Now with the loco on your test track type in the DCC address at the bottom and press SET. You MUST then click on the Power button at the top to switch track power ON - it will turn Green. Now look to the left of this window and you will see the speed control, Fwd and Rev and emergency Stop buttons all of which are controlled by the mouse cursor (or finger if using a touch screen :D ). DCC functions are switched using the buttons on the function panel. If the loco doesn't respond you have done something wrong or missed a step!

The only problems I've encountered with the Sprog/Decoder Pro combinations are selecting the correct decoder type when using the "Read type from Decoder" when sometimes you are presented with several options. And the other one is forgetting to switch the Power button to Green when using the throttle as it gets reset by the software when performing other stuff like changing a CV so watch out for that trick.

Hope that helps guys. The Sprog manual is really comprehensive and should answer all your questions but come back by all means if your'e still having problems.
Terry
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician