HOe? Is that British Narrow Gauge?

IanS

Re: HOe? Is that British Narrow Gauge?

Post by IanS »

I'm no expert, but a halt is generally a request stop where the train is requested to stop either by informing the guard you wish to alight there or by some other means (when boarding). My experience of them is on heritage railways where they exist such as the NYMR Newtondale Halt. The speeds of the trains near the 'halts' is generally slow enough and the view of them good enough for the driver to see a prospective passenger waiting at the designated spot.

Others with more experience and knowledge may be able to explain what I have wrong!
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

Surely, stops at either end of a line would be terminus stations, a halt would be somewhere in between.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

We used to use a halt. We told the guard when we wanted to get off at the halt and put your arm out to stop the train when you wanted to get on. I remember the train used to go past with the driver waving at us then it would stop and come back.

As stated a halt was usually in the middle of nowhere on a branch line.

Here it is on the line between West Drayton and Staines. We used to board the train at Colnbrook.

Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Request stops are common at more rural locations at smaller towns and villages or hamlets in the countryside areas on the national railaay network. Only principle stations will be "Booked stops" which attract more passenger numbers. The principle is to save time and it also eases passenger comfort. One may notice the same principle used on busses and trams where they only stop at a certain bus stop if requested to do so by a passenger on board, or if there are passengers waiting to be picked up.
Due to there being passengers waiting for trains going in the opposite direction OR the stations being frequented by people who have no intention of boarding the trains, it was quickly realized that they needed those who genuinely wanted to travel to indicate to the driver that they wanted the train to stop for them. Rural stations are often frequented at night by youngsters who want to meet friends and often have a smoke or a drink without their parents knowing etc, etc. I once ad my driver stop the train at Sugarloaf Halt which has a short platform so if the driver takes care a class 153 can stop with both doors just where the top part of the station ramps are. On this winters evening we came out of the tunnel, and then pulled into the platform. The usual proceedure is for me to open just the crew door so I did, and I saw a young man who had an ornate table cloth laid out on the platform complete with a three course meal and wine... The lot. He was in the dark on his own apart from the light of candles he had brought to add to the experience. I said that no one wwas getting off my train and he said his girlfriend was coming to meet him and have a meal.
Around 30 to 45 minutes later we came back on the down train and the platform was completely empty with no evidence he was there.

Most request stops are ordinary stations which can take 4 to 8 coach trains. Usually 5 or 6 car lengths.
Another feature on the main line for lesser used stations and halts (Standard gauge) is the use of half height platforms. This was common because it saved time and valuable stone for building them.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Chops

Post by Chops »

Thank you, most interesting. :)
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS