Swan Moreton Blades and handles.

Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.
Chuffchuff

Swan Moreton Blades and handles.

Post by Chuffchuff »

Does anyone have experience of the heavier handles that take S-M blades for cutting 2mm card for ScaleScenes models?

I have the usual No3 and No4 handles but find that after a while pressing down with my finger on the handle shaft is an arthritic pain !

I have used disposable trade scalpels that have a finger pad which I find more comfortable. The disadvantage of these knives are they have a thicker blade and tend not to last too long before they are blunt. Although by the time I am about 1.5mm in, I find that a no3 or 4 blade cuts the rest of the way more easily because of the width of the previous blade.

Xacto (or modern equivalent) blades are too thick and the handles do not hold a thiner blade too well.

Rgds
Chuffchuff

Re: Swan Moreton Blades and handles.

Post by Chuffchuff »

Answered my own question;-). Maybe of interest to those who have similar arthritic fingers as I have.

I purchased a no 3 and no 4 blade handle from scalpelsandblades.co.uk and they are much easier to grip.

The shafts are about twice the thickness of the metal handled scalpels and give a better feel of control whilst cutting.

Found my best way for cutting 2mm card for Scalescenes models was as my post above.

Start cut with a Stanley 10-601 knife that has a slightly wider blade than the scalpel and when it starts to bind a bit, finish with a scalpel blade.

The Stanley knife has a useful finger rest on the top.

Reds
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I’ve found this to be very good.

Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Hi, try sharpening blades with small stone. I have a set of 7 scalpel knives, and have not changed blades. Set came complete with stone.
Chuffchuff

Post by Chuffchuff »

Thanks for the replies.

I finally found the Fiskars craft knife on the net ! ( After finding a number of knives that would make Crocodile Dundee proud !). Adding “craft” to the search helps.

A number of videos showing how to use and replace blades etc

Would it take a scalpel blade or would they be too thin and not wide enough for the blade clamp to grip ?

Looks similar to an Xacto blade . Are Xacto still made ?

Reds