Little (very) Village

Help with designing your track work
LordOafy

Little (very) Village

Post by LordOafy »

Hi Folks

I'm a complete newcomer looking for a new little(?!) retirement project here. I have limited space and even more limited knowledge, but I really want to give it a go.

My dream is to build a little village (or cutaway of one) in 00. I bought the Highland Rambler Hornby starter set to kick off, and I see a problem already!
I have only around a 5 x 3.5 foot space for the layout. Very limited I know, but I'm only looking for a very unambitious setup. I've seen lots of pics and layouts on Google, so i can see it's doable. I know N scale would be better, but having got the set now, I think at my age that something half the size would be a bit much for my eyes and fingers!

I can see that the track supplied with the kit will be too big for my scheme. I need it to be narrower, but removing a few track pieces makes it unusable! Clearly I need a different kind of track. I know nothing of R1, R2 flexitrack etc, but presumably I need to change this track for one or the other?!

This is my dream, obviously with a lot less track, buildings and scenery! Well, it's something to work towards.

I will likely be asking for a lot of advice, just to forewarn you!

Thanks guys
Ray
RogerB

Re: Little (very) Village

Post by RogerB »

Hi Ray, welcome to the forum.

How about something like this to start your thought processes off? If I'm reading the small print correctly you have the green track pieces.
R-
EDIT: I think in your set you will also have the R600 I have shown at the top of this image. Colouring in error on my part.
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
LordOafy

Post by LordOafy »

Thanks Roger. Impressive.

Yes, I do have the green track pieces, also the two R600, but not the R8072s. But what I have basically needs a 4 x 4 space, and even then goes right up to the edges all round, and the 4 foot width is pushing it a bit in my space.

I'm assuming that the inside track - with the R607 curved pieces etc would be rather smaller, and perhaps what I need as the 'main' track layout? I realise that i have to make sacrifices with the space, and really I wouldn't be too put out having just a single 'loop' as my layout. Means shelling out for a completely new track. How much is that? And does that render my R609s obsolete?! The starter set cost me £80, so not a lot, and I do like the loco. And I'm quite happy to gradually spend a few hundred more on the board, scenery, buildings etc - gradually!

Cheers
Ray
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

I have shown all Hornby track codes as that was the library I was using to put what you have on a 5x3.5’ board. Indeed the inside loop is 2nd radius and gives you a bit of breathing space. Peco track pieces are interchangeable with Hornby so you might want to consider those if you are going to flex your plastic. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

That is a nice little set to start out with.

My question would be 'Why do you only have 5 x 3.5ft for the layout?'

Many, many years ago I built a layout on a sheet of hardboard that I used to store under my bed. When you look at exhibition layouts, most of them are built in sections. You could build a layout that is split left to right, say 70/30. So the front section has all the interesting bits, but the back third is behind the hills.
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
LordOafy

Post by LordOafy »

Thanks for the help guys.

I live in a small flat these days so 5x3.5 is unfortunately the most space I can manage. I found a decent deal for the R607 curves so will give those a try.

Cheers
Ray
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

You’ll be surprised what can be fitted into a small space.
Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Small space like this?

https://youtu.be/OKui9F1u334

Or like this?

https://youtu.be/1wQCU-imm5Q
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
darkscot

Post by darkscot »