Hornby Dublo DCC

Captainkirk

Hornby Dublo DCC

Post by Captainkirk »

This issue may have been discussed before and I know it is a personnal preference, but I would be grateful for opinion.
Most of my locos are 2 rail Hornby Dublo with some later Hornby. In fact it was my intention to collect at least one of each of Hornby Dublo locos and rolling stock.
I never caught the DCC bug but I do appreciate that the sound makes a great difference to operating a layout.
I am now retired and do not have loads of money to spend now, but I have considered buying some Lenz loco decoders but as I understand it the basic loco decoder does not produce sound, but control only. Hornby appear to sell the TTS sound decoders for various locos. I take it I would have to purchase these as well and piggy back them to the control decoder? If so does it have to be a Hornby control decoder or can the TSS sound be fitted with any other decoder.
I have also seen some American model rail forums where sound decoders are available to operate off the original 2 rail DC controlled layout – are there any UK suppliers of DC sound decoders.
Last of all some people have advised that I will ruin the authenticity and value of the original HD locos it I start adapting them, which is true. However I do not have HD for the value it’s because neither I nor my family could afford HD trains and accessories in the early 1960s despite the appealing train set boxes advertising Dad and Son operating a massive railway layout. When I go my wife will just sell the whole lot off at an auction.
So adapt or don’t adapt – what is the general opinion?
Rog (RJ)

Re: Hornby Dublo DCC

Post by Rog (RJ) »

The TTS decoders do everything, you don't need to piggy back them on another decoder. Just be aware of the current ratings of the TTS decoder (maximum of 500mA for the motor) and the current taken by the locos motors, which tends to be quite high on old locos. And just in case you don't know, you need a DCC controller to operate DCC locos and use them to their full extent.

In theory, any DCC controller will work with any make of decoder in any make of loco. In reality there are a tiny number of combinations that don't work very well.

Edit
Some makes of sound decoder will produce the basic running sounds when run on analogue (dc) but the TTS decoders don't. They will allow the motor speed and direction to be controlled but no sound will be produced.
Richard Croft

Post by Richard Croft »

You will probably find that the older motors draw too much current and blow the Hornby TTS decoders. Another issue that you are likely to have is that DCC really needs good pickups and smooth running models, it’s far better suited to newer models which are capable of running at a crawl from what I’ve seen. You could go to a lot of effort and expense and be very disappointed. Richard
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

There was a very knowledgeable guy called Raven, several years ago, on the old Hornby forum, who, detailed how to make hornby dublo both 2, and 3 rail, DCC. It was a very complicated process, and used a better class of decoder than normal, certainly not, TTS, ones, that will i think, fail. I run both Dublo 3 and 2 rail, and the current draw, is much higher. His view was, that anything was possible, at a price, but that the running of these locos, had to be perfect, before even contemplating it. You will, of course, also, devalue these locos, as demand should you wish to sell, will be slight. I went into it, with this guy, through direct emails, and the cost/ time/ end result, in my view, simply made it impractical. I ended up, buying Railroad TTS locos, and keeping my Dublo, locos, original. I dont think this is for he faint hearted.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

As I commented in another thread do a web search (i.e. Google) for wrenn dcc conversion - it will bring bring up a number of useful links. (Wrenn were the maker of the Hornby Dublo range once Triang and Hornby had merged)
Captainkirk

Post by Captainkirk »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and I am grateful for the considered advice. My HD locos draw between 600 - 750ma so cannot use the Hornby TTS for drive control that is why I was thinking about piggy backing them to a more powerful drive decoder. As somebody said however it could be a lot of expense and work for little reward.
I think I may explore the possibility of DC(Analogue) sound decoders but it may be very difficult to get realistic A4, Duchess, Castle and 8F sounds. In saying that I don't know how realistic the Hornby TTS sounds are.
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

If it's drawing that much current when running normally there is something wrong, such as a weak magnet (quite common with old magnets) or needs a good clean and oiling, or it may be both.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Scalespeed offer a rewind, remagnetise & service http://www.scalespeed.co.uk/ at a cost of £24.50 + postage. They also offer a dcc fitting service albeit using a Hornby decoder.

These two pages seem quite useful in terms of dcc fitting

https://jamestrainparts.com/2017/04/10/ ... al-motors/

https://jamestrainparts.com/2017/04/17/ ... al-motors/
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Capt Kirk, have just replied on Hornby forum, with a possible solution. john
Captainkirk

Post by Captainkirk »

Thank you for all your replies.
:)
I am old school philosophy and I believe the layout operator should be the train driver, the signalman, and shunter, so I will be keeping the layout mimic switch panel. I certainly would not go down the road of a fully controlled DCC layout including point signals and automated train control, so I would not spend excessive amounts on top of the market DCC components.

I may pursue the DC sound option, but if DCC did improve the HD loco performance as well it may be worth pursuing.
I might try it on one of the HD locos on a test track using a Hornby TTS and budget Hornby DCC controller before I commit to wholesale expenditure on the layout.