DC wiring help including droppers and toggles

davidrivett

DC wiring help including droppers and toggles

Post by davidrivett »

Evening all,

I'm slowly but surely beginning to think about laying track to my layout now the woodwork (or most of it) is done and was looking for ideas on how to wire up based on DC in OO code 100.

The main area I have drawn roughly as attached is the junction area and busiest area of the layout, where the terminus station diverges into 5 platforms on the right, branch line and TMD access lines join from the left, as well as the up and down main line loops come in and out.

For my previous layout I very much relied on the switch blades of points and fishplates to conduct the electricity and so this time I want something alot more reliable.

Therefore for every piece of track I will be soldering droppers including the points and double slips (2 in the sketch are only 2 on the layout). For platforms 1, 2, 3 and 5 I would like the buffer stop track section to also be isolated as in on off toggle to enable another loco to hook up to the end and take stock out. Platform 4 is a shorter DMU platform only so would only allow 1 powered model in anyway.

My controller is a 4 track Gaugemaster and all points are Peco Insulfrog. I'm thinking tracks 1 and 2 up and down main, track 3 branch line, and 4 TMD including the headshunt.

I will not be installing point motors due to cost, I'm happy from where I stand I can easily operate every point in arms reach, using the toggle switches (on on or on off) at the same time.

The red lines denote the boundaries of each point.

For the toggle switches I'd like them to be mounted onto a mimic panel not next to each point for a better look image wise.

A lot to ask for, but I'm hoping any more experienced modellers could maybe have a look at the sketch and advise on the best wire or circuit option(s) please?

Thanks in advance!

David
Stese

Re: DC wiring help including droppers and toggles

Post by Stese »

Hi David,

Have you done a digital diagram for your layout?

In terms of cable, the recommendation is to use a minimum of 16/0.2 wire for your trackfeeds/droppers.

Regards,

Steve D.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi

Rules of wiring... Where two DC controllers rails meet there needs to be a pair of Insulated Rail Joiners (IRJs) fitted to electrically separate the two controllers. So, all cross over points will need two IRJs in the cross over direction.
The Double slips wiring will depend on whether one DC controller only ever allows feeding of the DS or it has two DC controllers able to feed the DS rails depending on the route set through the DS. If the latter then eight IRJs on all rails are needed and the two outer stock rails of the DS feed from a DPDT switches middle tabs. The DPDT switches outer tabs have each DC controllers feed wires connected to these tabs - DC controller 1 to one end and DC controller 2 to the other ends tabs. If the former and only one DC controller feeds all tracks of the DS then no IRJs are needed and the DS outer pair of stock rails are feed from that DC controller. Note the insulated frog DS version does not self isolate towards the unset direction, unlike ordinary Insulated frog points.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
davidrivett

Post by davidrivett »

Hi, all I've done is my sketch, can you recommend any apps or programmes to use please?

Thanks

David
Stese wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:12 pm Hi David,

Have you done a digital diagram for your layout?

In terms of cable, the recommendation is to use a minimum of 16/0.2 wire for your trackfeeds/droppers.

Regards,

Steve D.
IanS

Post by IanS »

I use AnyRail which comes with a free trial, others prefer different programs.

The free trial has a limited number of rail track pieces you can place but there should be enough for the section of the layout you show.

I've tried to reproduce your layout section using AnyRail 5 - As you can see I've had to use a diamond crossing where you appear to have intended a double slip. I've shown the difference in footprint to show why it was done.

I've used predominantly Hornby Settrack plus a couple of flexi track - all code 100.

Hopefully this shows a) what can be done b) what may be difficult to achieve in reality on a layout.