can anyone reccommend a water crane that can move manually?

Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building or something related.
sandy

Re: can anyone reccommend a water crane that can move manually?

Post by sandy »

That is good idea Daekscot using push pull method. I have a couple of points like that because there was no space under for a point motor. I used curtain wire and stainless steel wire (very cheap) used by florists for wiring wreaths and things. 4mm Cable clips to fix the curtain under BB. I did not think of that for the Water Crane but yes it would work great.
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Slight post hijack here, Sandy do you bend the wire at a right angle up through the BB into the point tie bar?
Nurse, the screens!
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

I think it would be relatively easy to automate it using a low cost servo motor. But actually I think manual operation would be more realistic.
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
sandy

Post by sandy »

Walkingthedog wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:31 pm Slight post hijack here, Sandy do you bend the wire at a right angle up through the BB into the point tie bar?
Yes that's right and leave it long so it is easy to feed through the hole in the tie bar and cut off from the top as you would a point motor. Start fixing 4 mm cable clips close to hole. I put 2 close together near tie bar hole then on every 2 inches It is best to keep the run of the curtain wire as straite as you can to the BB edge drill hole in BB framing. If curtain wire is loose in hole secure with glue to make a firm fit. The SS wire I used was 1.3mm, fits the curtain wire perfectly. Got it on ebay 99p a M. Much cheaper than piano wire. I oiled the wire when I pushed it in for nice free run because Mine curved around other point motors which were in the way. Works lovely.
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Thanks Sandy I’ll give it a go some time.
Nurse, the screens!