LUMSDONIA

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
TimberSurf

Re: LUMSDONIA

Post by TimberSurf »

My WWS (War World Scenics Facebook) Remembrance Diorama Competition entry
"BOCHE BUSTER"
BL18-inch railway howitzer
Constructed on 19mm chipboard and edged with varnished wood, this electrically powered diorama, shows the Rail Gun being loaded with shells by it's supply train and guarded by a squad of infantry, with some REME soldiers and the artillery gunnery crew loading and maintaining the gun. There is little information I can find on the operation of these guns, veiled in secrecy, I guess we will never know. The biggest rail gun in Germany (that ran on twin tracks) had 2,000 soldiers in attendance! The two British ones were never used in anger in WW2. So I have guessed much of the workings and used my imagination for the shell transport.
The AA gun and sandbags are downloaded from thingiverse
The shells (live and spent), shell trolleys (full and empty), the claws (open and closed) and the 18in track (straights and curves), were all designed by me
All the above were 3D printed
TerraMuck (sculptamould) is homemade
Barbed wire is home made
The Camo netting is homemade
The rocks were cast from home made moulds
ROD loco by Bachmann
Howitzer by Oxford Rail
Vent vans by Hornby
Figures by Airfix

Less of a diorama and more of a shelf layout/photo scene/lift out module for the future!

To many big photo's to load here, so 14 Pictures http://www.lumsdonia.co.uk/gallery_diorama_3.html
TimberSurf

Website > Lumsdonia.co.uk
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Now that is unusual. I like it a lot. :D
Nurse, the screens!
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Brilliant, well done
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Very good - does it come with "sound"? :lol:
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

bulleidboy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:21 am Very good - does it come with "sound"? :lol:
Unfortunately not, but I might make a video and add some sound effects at some point :D
TimberSurf

TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

You may have noticed or not, but the Bosch Buster diorama had a few 3D printed bits in it, as I had not long bought a 3D printer! Since then I have done little modelling on the layout, but have transferred my skills to modelling things (for my layout) in 3D CAD. The end result is that I have been prolific and currently have a list of 1,300 printed items! Having shown them on social media, I was repeatedly asked if people could buy them. After much thought and negotiations with suppliers, LINK REMOVED SEE FORUM RULES. Feel free to browse the shop and let me know if they float your boat or if you buy some or even better, share any pics of ones you have bought and painted! I would love to see them painted and on peoples layouts.
TimberSurf

Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

You have been busy. You can't say that you are not getting value for money out of your printer as all those parts to print make it worth it.

Someone mentioned resin printer. Is that different from normal 3D printers? I have bought a pair of 3D loco body kits in the recent past and the material is something similar to the grey plastic on the old Airfix kits except that it is a little more flexible then stiff. (Not bought an Airfix kit for years so I don't know if they have changed. What I mean by flexible rather than stiff is that if one bends a part with the Airfix kits they may snap but the 3D printed kit material would be more likely to bend then snap if this is a good way to describe it?)
Is this what is termed as resin? As the resin I am used to is quite different. I am used to resin casting both with my own home castings and with resin kits I have bought. The resin of late in kits that have been cast (I assume they are still casting them?) have a much whiter appearance, as the resin I am used to from the past and the resin I have cast with has a slight creamy yellow appearance to it. I find that resin is much easier to work (As in file etc) then the 3D plastic printed kit material I have with the two kits I had bought. (I have started one kit but am in no hurry. I adapt things as I go along so the kit may end up something unique and different. I may build the second kit as it is meant to be built to compare. We shall see. That is the fun of building kits). :D
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Mountain Goat wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:50 am You have been busy. You can't say that you are not getting value for money out of your printer as all those parts to print make it worth it.

Someone mentioned resin printer. Is that different from normal 3D printers? I have bought a pair of 3D loco body kits in the recent past and the material is something similar to the grey plastic on the old Airfix kits except that it is a little more flexible then stiff. (Not bought an Airfix kit for years so I don't know if they have changed. What I mean by flexible rather than stiff is that if one bends a part with the Airfix kits they may snap but the 3D printed kit material would be more likely to bend then snap if this is a good way to describe it?)
Is this what is termed as resin? As the resin I am used to is quite different. I am used to resin casting both with my own home castings and with resin kits I have bought. The resin of late in kits that have been cast (I assume they are still casting them?) have a much whiter appearance, as the resin I am used to from the past and the resin I have cast with has a slight creamy yellow appearance to it. I find that resin is much easier to work (As in file etc) then the 3D plastic printed kit material I have with the two kits I had bought. (I have started one kit but am in no hurry. I adapt things as I go along so the kit may end up something unique and different. I may build the second kit as it is meant to be built to compare. We shall see. That is the fun of building kits). :D
There are two types of 3D prints, FDM, which is a filament that is extruded hot from a nozzle, usually for larger items. Then there is Photo sensitive resin, which is cured by UV light in layers as the model is built up. Filament tends to have larger layer lines but is strong and flexible. Resin tends to have much thinner layer lines so lends itself to smaller scales and items, but can be quite brittle. However, there is a resin called 'ABS like', that is much more pliable and is commonly used for 3D prints for railways. Certainly all my items are made from ABS like!
TimberSurf