Your latest acquisition

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Hound Dog

Re: Your latest acquisition

Post by Hound Dog »

Steve M wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:46 am Interesting observations Richard. I’ve been tempted to look at the Accurascale Deltics but not yet ordered one or seen one in the flesh so’s to speak.
Consequently I can’t picture the coupling set up they have designed. Before you go drilling holes and adding hooks, have a look at Hunt couplings. No idea if they would help but maybe worth investigating as an alternative to what you have now.
Steve - Pls don’t be put off by my comments as the Accurascale Deltics are amongst the best RTR locos I have seen ( perhaps the SLW Class 24 just takes the crown for me, but it is mighty close) and they put the legacy manufacturers to shame……… Aside from my coupling issue which I cannot truly blame the manufacturer for, I think they are wonderful and tremendous value for money compared to the competition, with many unique new to market features…….

I think the video link I previously posted had an error, so pls see below

https://flic.kr/p/2nv29e6

Cheers - Richard

Ps - could send one down for you to try out ( and possibly weather)
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Hound Dog wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:20 pm
Steve M wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:46 am Interesting observations Richard. I’ve been tempted to look at the Accurascale Deltics but not yet ordered one or seen one in the flesh so’s to speak.
Consequently I can’t picture the coupling set up they have designed. Before you go drilling holes and adding hooks, have a look at Hunt couplings. No idea if they would help but maybe worth investigating as an alternative to what you have now.
Steve - Pls don’t be put off by my comments as the Accurascale Deltics are amongst the best RTR locos I have seen ( perhaps the SLW Class 24 just takes the crown for me, but it is mighty close) and they put the legacy manufacturers to shame……… Aside from my coupling issue which I cannot truly blame the manufacturer for, I think they are wonderful and tremendous value for money compared to the competition, with many unique new to market features…….

I think the video link I previously posted had an error, so pls see below

https://flic.kr/p/2nv29e6

Cheers - Richard

Ps - could send one down for you to try out ( and possibly weather)
No chance of putting me off. Diesels don’t feature often on West Orton so I was going to wait until the Warley show before committing. If they are as good as many have said, it would be a shame to get them dirty!
I definitely wouldn’t attempt a repaint - the strip down and reassembly would drive anyone insane.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Good news - I have cured my coupling snagging problem on my Deltics by changing the profile and increasing the clearance on the supplied Kinematic couplings - see picture for before and after.

In my opinion the profile is too severe and in certain scenarios where there is a side loading, the coupling follower is pinned to the profile and cannot overcome the peak……… flattening it out means that the side loads, well push the mechanism sideways around the profile as intended…….. good to see that my Rolls-Royce Engineering training of over 40 years ago has not gone to waste .

Both Deltics now run faultlessly on my layout with the couplings reinstalled at the trailing end, and tests coupled with coaches have seen no derailments.

Just the crew and many loose pieces to be fitted and both locos can be released to service !
Chops

Post by Chops »

40 years Rolls Royce training. I've peered out the windows of jetliners, and often seen the familiar RR emblazoned upon the cowling. A comforting reminder that we were in good hands. Of course air travel is remarkably safe, but it was not always so.

Buffer snag has not infrequently caught my attention in a negative fashion. Sounds like some easy and useful correction which I may be putting to use.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Very nice - how many wagons is that now!! :roll:
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

With this one 35.

Nurse, the screens!
hunslet

Post by hunslet »

I have several Triang Transcontinental series items so could not resist this one.

It came with an original mast which I have not seen for sale often and with the addition of some repro track clips and a piece of rail it works perfectly
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I am preparing for the winter months of railway modelling :) One of the advantages of being a Hornby Collector Club member - this cost less than £100 - cheapest I've seen the same thing elsewhere is £260.00

ImageIMG_1239 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Nice. It looks good.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...