Neptune Street

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Steve M

Re: Neptune Street

Post by Steve M »

The ‘Earl Grey’ sets it off perfectly Carl.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Believe we are perhaps over-thinking what I originally intended as a humorous remark………go with whatever the tea leaves say !
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Darjeeling just seemed too extravagant :D

Think I’ll settle for straight seaweed, Hull’s not quite was wild Scotland!

InterestIng tutorials from Marklin. I’m not sure I’m completely satisfied with the finish the PVA has given for the water, that said it is the mucky Humber, not the Med. It may be because I’ve not built up enough layers, but it’s likely to be redone, if only with PVA again.

Tyres and chains to source.

Thanks for all the positive comments.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Lots of toy tyres and chain on eBay.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

The moulded boat buffers (fenders) that look a bit like tear drops can be made from beads - Hobbycraft do a pick n mix selection. Just hang them from a bit of thread and paint them to suit.
Last edited by Steve M on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

They’re fenders Steve. :)
Nurse, the screens!
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

A bit more work tonight on the fish sheds; both have been weathered (to an extent, it’s not a strong point of mine) and lighting installed under the canopy.

I mentioned the surface of the loading platform and I thought I was going to use fine wet and dry painted concrete colour. Well I really can’t be a…d. It currently is plasticard brush painted said colour. I’ve applied some weathering powders which seem to have picked up the texture of the brush strokes. I’d appreciate some honest opinion and/or ideas. I appreciate it’s a bit stark and bereft of junk at the moment, and the two seams need sorting. But I don’t know if it’s acceptable, needs more weathering, or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Carl, those lighting pics look superb - I can smell the fish from here!

The platform surfaces look fine. Seams when using plastic sheet are inevitable but can be minimised by having tight glued joints - sand the edge of the sheets so they are square and use a liquid glue like Tamiya extra thin. Brushed into the joints and the two sheets pushed hard together. Any remaining marks can be filled with plastic putty or similar.

Personally I’m not a fan of weathering powders. Yes I use them, but I find them very difficult to work with. In my experience they tend to get caught in matte paint surfaces and are difficult to move around. But I have a couple of very cheap, very stiff paintbrushes (like the ones we used to use for glue at school). I’ve cut the bristles short so they can be used to scrub any excess out of the surface of the paint. Not ideal but it’s the best I can think of.

The other tip is not to have too much powder on the brush when applying it - easier to add more rather than take it off.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The growth around the points looks most convincing.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I too think the platform lighting looks superb - the way the light reflects on the water is most realistic - you can almost feel the dampness.