00 Gauge Track Plans.

Help with designing your track work
FattishBoy

00 Gauge Track Plans.

Post by FattishBoy »

Just wondered if any of you guys used them, needing inspiration for my new layout can anyone recommend any.

Thanks.

John.
bulleidboy

Re: 00 Gauge Track Plans.

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi John

This may give you some inspiration - http://www.freetrackplans.com/Track-Plan-Index.php

Just click on any layout and a new toolbar will appear with all the Hornby layouts and others. There are of course a number of publications available from WHSmith which have some good ideas, but you've obviously got to buy those. BB
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

I have found that I get inspiration more from forums such as this looking at members layouts and going to model railway exhibitions. Then I get out a pile of A4 paper and start filling up several wast paper bins. I am doing that at the moment with my latest project. It always takes me ages until I am happy with a lay out plan. Funny thing is, it always seems to be harder to design a smaller layout than a larger one...........John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi to both Johns - rather than waste large quantities of paper, find a layout you like or that suits "some" of your requirements, and then make the changes you want. I used a plan from Cyril Freezers book - Sixty Small Layouts, and then adapted it to fit into the space I had available. BB
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

To me, its about what i want, not what others have done. I make the baseboard, start laying track, and see where it takes me. Never used a piece of paper. Once you have a circuit, so you know capacity, you can plan your points/ sidings, whatever, from remaining space. Its also, whether you are happy, to cut/ bend/ align, flexi track, or prefer to stay with fixed rails.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I laid two circuits and the rest just followed on.
Nurse, the screens!
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

I used a free piece of software called SCARM (paid version now available alongside the restricted free version) to draw both my layouts. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

HI yelrow (john) It is not what others have done but I look at other peoples ideas because often they are better than mine. Then I get out the paper and pencil and do my plan with the help of others sometimes.
Like my dad always said, Two heads are better than one, even if they are sheep.
John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Its really how much you like to fiddle. I could not be doing with making a layout, then fixing it down, ballasting etc. Most of my pleasure, is jiggling a bit, every so often, with various parts of layout. Thats why i only use screws. Its an individual thing. I think mine dates back to when my brother, who has more Triang stuff, than you can throw a stick at, spent months with landscape/ buildings/ ballast. Then abandoned the lot for Radio controlled boats. When i asked why, Got bored with it. Mine does not stay the same long enough for me to become bored.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

I found a basic plan, downloaded point templates then used masking tape for track - then I kept moving everything around and added bits to it. The buildings I intended to use plus embankments etc were chalked in so I knew how much room I had to play with for the scenics.