First ever baseboard

All posts regarding baseboard construction
Mountain Goat

Re: First ever baseboard

Post by Mountain Goat »

Now that looks fun! Nice and sturdy too.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Gixer

Post by Gixer »

Thought I’d give you guys a little update.

A visit to gaugemaster got us some bridges and tunnel portals, Luke couldn’t resist a series 3 Landrover. Our layout is coming on, the canal and harbour are in and the bridges are laid out. Just waiting on more track for the various lines.

Next step is the embankments and hill for the tunnel, I have some plaster bandages but may be asking for advice on how to do it.
Need to come up with a name for our layout…..
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Looking good. How about Lukester Junction.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Your making great progress. Before you start using plaster bandage, you could try getting a couple of sheets of 75mm/100mm insulation foam, and using an old breadknife cut it to shape to form your hills. You can use No Nails to stick the foam together and wooden kebab skewers to hold the pieces of foam in place. When you have the final shape you can cover with plaster bandage - very simple to use, just cut a length dip it in water for a few seconds and then lay it over the foam. This will create a hard shell, and you should be able to lift the hill/tunnel off of the layout in one piece. I will add that cutting foam and using plaster bandage can be a messy job - best done in the garage :lol:
Last edited by bulleidboy on Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gixer

Post by Gixer »

Funnily enough we call Luke Lukester 😂

I think he wants to call it Newtown, Newbridge, something with ‘New’ in it.

I did a bit more today. We decided we want this corner to be a chalk cliff reminiscent of a little village we used to visit on the South Downs called Amberley. So I set to work with some old insulation and chicken wire. Pretty happy with the result. It’s still removable so can add the modelling plaster, paper mashe and plaster bandage outside to limit the mess.

Gixer

Post by Gixer »

Our first attempt at flocking.

I chose to go for flocking rather than static grass (still to try that) as the cliff is at the back so using smaller detail should give a perspective of being far away, apparently. Pretty happy with the chalk cliffs so far, still lots of detail to add.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

That looks very good. For a bit more realism, you could add a little (very small amount) of flock to one or two of the ledges on the cliff face - weeds etc., grow everywhere.
Sorry, just made the picture bigger and see that you have already done that.
Gixer

Post by Gixer »

Thanks bulleidboy, being honest thats just where the flock fell. I did think afterwards that it needs flock on these areas which I will do.

Learning all the time.