Hornby TTS sound units

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
DougieD

Hornby TTS sound units

Post by DougieD »

Dose any one now who makes Hornby tts sound units for them, my club members scoff at me when I tell them I use them, but they are affordable and the leaflet that comes with it is good for newbies like me. I live in Australia so that limits the information I have access to
DougieD
Brian

Re: Hornby TTS sound units

Post by Brian »

AFAIK Hornby have never released the manufacturers details. Its just a Hornby product.
Hornby TTS is a basic sound decoder and the price its sold at reflects that, as its a budget device. It works OK but dont expect all the "Bells and Whistle" featurers more expensive sound decoders can offer, like ESU Loksound or Zimo etc.
One thing with TTS is you cannot alter the sound files. So for example you can't overwrite a loco TTS sound decoder with another type of locos sound file.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

What difference would it make if I said Fred’s garage churns them out under contract or are you really asking what make is the base decoder. I can answer that. It is a Hornby in-house design based upon their R8249 basic decoder.
Their 2022 catalogue also listed a 21-pin decoder, which we have yet to see but I suspect it will be similar to their oldy but goody R8245 Sapphire decoder.
dtb

Post by dtb »

TTS, for the price are ok if you can find them now, it's probably better spending the extra on a youchoos, olivias or swd loaded Loksound v5.

I have just secured a Hornby R3805 Black 5 from a friend and was planning to use a TTS decoder. I managed to find stock online so I asked the retailer if they did actually have the the decoder in stock. Needless to say they have not responded Hobby Goblin shame on you!

TTS as a budget sounder decoder are ok but change the speaker if you are able to. Richard at Road and Rails is very helpful.