Early Triang Jinty

mbleasdale

Early Triang Jinty

Post by mbleasdale »

Firstly season's greetings to one and all.
I have three early Triang Jinties that I would like to rewheel and regear so they don't do 200mph flat out. I recollect years ago you could get a 60/1 or even an 80/1 gear box, and a replacement X04 motor coupled with Romford wheels. Anyone know if items such as these are still available and if it wouldn't be too difficult to fit them?
Regards,
Monte
sandy

Re: Early Triang Jinty

Post by sandy »

I have an old jinty dating back to the 60s, the Tri-ang days. It does run quite well even now and goes quite slowly with my Gaugemaster controller.. The old XO3/4 motors run quite well if they are serviced well. (Depends on what controller you are using.) I think the cost of replacement wheels and axles and motor would be much more than replacing the loco with another later hornby model from ebay or Hattons or somewhere of your choice.
Last edited by sandy on Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sandy
hblmadt

Post by hblmadt »

Older screw 4 piece chassis frame jinty i would leave alone later syncrosmoke and heavy wheel types thick wheels can be adjusted to run through points with a gauge and a set up to allow you to watch the chassis. otherwise rule out romford because of possible rareness and expense. Hornby did better wheels on later 0-6-0 s and also 9f wheels will work as well. Later middle drive versions with can motors have the same wheels as the hornby 8f model as the wheels were tapped for screws on the coupling rods. some are available from the giant peter of spares stock. Beware of buying later china sets as they are blackend and require a pick up mod to work on a triang chassis as both sides on most china locos are insulated
sandy

Post by sandy »

Hi Monti. May I ask what controller you are using to get 200 MPH out of your Jinty. :?:
Sandy
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

Monte hasn't visited the forum for almost a year, so I don't think you'll be getting a quick reply.
sandy

Post by sandy »

Thanks Rog I did not notice I was looking at an old post. :oops:
Sandy