wheel quartering

bobclifford1953

wheel quartering

Post by bobclifford1953 »

hi can anyone help me with wheel quartering on some of my mainline locos most are in good condition and they run well but for this problem if i can repair them it will be a bonus as i they are nice locos and it will be a shame to have to scrap them regards bob :?:
Brian

Re: wheel quartering

Post by Brian »

What exactly do you need?
Quartering is that one wheel has its drive hole/pin at the top while the opposite sides wheel drive pin is 90 degrees ahead (or behind) that. Ahead or behind will depend on loco! Normally the right hand side leads the left side by [approx] 90 degrees Only adjust one wheel then follow up adjusting the others one by one to ensure no binding occurs
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
hblmadt

Re: wheel quartering

Post by hblmadt »

I would first clean the wheel throughly and buy new axle parts from peter spares order on the loco like jubilee or 0-6-0 and then on each set fit oneside with super glue away from the chassis wait until cured fully leave 24 hours. then check each to make sure the glue has not pulled on the axle as a lump will impare and need correcting. then as mentioned i would set the other side back till you have a 12 position and otherside a 3 position and make sure the various link arms are sitting right and are not bent in anyway it should assemble from there before putting the shell back on test run and see if ok. Also you can take the motor out and then you can freewheel the chassis to check for binds or lock ups