Your latest acquisition

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Jsa274

Re: Your latest acquisition

Post by Jsa274 »

I recently bought a second hand batch of four generic container wagons with containers plus a crane.

After some research I discovered the lot was part of a 1970ish triang RS602 freight set, quite interesting I thought.

The crane was generally in good order for its age, but I’ve had the brainwave to try and motorise its so I can simulate container loading/unloading operations.

It looks very much like a toy compared to modern display-only and operating container cranes but the latter are very expensive so I will persevere with it as a challenge of my model engineering skills as well as an expansion of my layout’s operational interest. The four point grappling hook can be temperamental so I am thinking of modifying it to use an electromagnet with metal added to the inside of the container roofs for more reliable operation.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Made a trip to the Hornby factory sale this morning and picked up some Oxford Rail wagons for £6 each and a brand new LNER A2/3 ‘Edward Thompson’ for only £89 - it would have been rude not to.
Judging by the size of the pile they were trying to shift, it seems the Steampunk idea has been a flop.

Early night tonight and up early for the long haul to the NEC in the morning.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

What a bargain Steve. Enjoy Warley.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:32 pm What a bargain Steve. Enjoy Warley.
Caught my first whiff of stale anorak in three years this morning so I need Warley to desensitize my system.

When I first saw the box I thought it was a duff one but there was a whole box of about 30 locos all at the same price. Probably still a duff one though. ;)
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Don’t forget to take a wheelie bin for a back pack plus a wheel barrow.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Nice purchase - I'm sure you know but IPA will delete the price label.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:54 pm Don’t forget to take a wheelie bin for a back pack plus a wheel barrow.
First show after the pandemic - I’ll just cough a bit if I need some space. :o
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Steve M wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:16 pm Judging by the size of the pile they were trying to shift, it seems the Steampunk idea has been a flop.
Sold a pup by Laurie. They failed to capture the essential steam punk genre, which is infinitely more complex, but instead they went for a silly toy interpretation, which was so far off track it was doomed to failure.
So what are the options - Ask a consultant to confirm your already made up mindset at great cost or chin-wag with Joe Public to find out what they really think at no cost. OK lets call in the consultant.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

RAF96 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:38 pm
Steve M wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:16 pm Judging by the size of the pile they were trying to shift, it seems the Steampunk idea has been a flop.
Sold a pup by Laurie. They failed to capture the essential steam punk genre, which is infinitely more complex, but instead they went for a silly toy interpretation, which was so far off track it was doomed to failure.
So what are the options - Ask a consultant to confirm your already made up mindset at great cost or chin-wag with Joe Public to find out what they really think at no cost. OK lets call in the consultant.
Couldn't agree more Rob.

Although I wasn't looking for steampunk at Warley today, your post reminded me that I did not see a single item, either on display or for sale. Dead in the water is that idea.

Hornby had alone if their new steam generator locos running on a rolling road all day - looks very good. The smoke puffs match the chuffs on the sound decoder but whether they match the wheel rotation is another thing all together.
They had a few TT locos on display - let's just say Roger is not going to be disappointed. They also had some preproduction OO locos from the new ranges - they look to be very finely detailed, especially the valve gear.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Was it busy at Warley Steve?
Nurse, the screens!