Building a full scale railway

Help with designing your track work
locomotive

Building a full scale railway

Post by locomotive »

Hello guys. I am new to this hobby and my question is do people usually model full length railways, for example London - Manchester railway or do they model only a section of railways because of space limitations. Secondly, whats the length of a real railway that can be modeled realistically in oo scale and how much space will it require? Is it realistic to accurately model a 50mile long railway for example in oo scale and how much space will this require?
Walkingthedog

Re: Building a full scale railway

Post by Walkingthedog »

In OO scale a 50 mile length of track would require a baseboard 1,157 yards long, about two thirds of a mile. I'll let you draw your own conclusion :D
Nurse, the screens!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

There are always compromises when modelling and the main one is the area you have available. Even with the best will in the world, many scenes chosen to be modelled have to be compressed.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Have a look at the new Hornby TT range. You get a fearful lot in a small space.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

yelrow wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:27 pm Have a look at the new Hornby TT range. You get a fearful lot in a small space.
I honestly do not think this new "Hornby only" scale will take off despite my initial enthusiasm because the way they have excluded the retailers.

N gauge is well established with several manufacturers involved, so this if anything is where I would go if 00 is too large a scale.
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Each to their own MG. I expect there is a 5 year plan for it. See how the land lies then. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

RogerB wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:24 pm Each to their own MG. I expect there is a 5 year plan for it. See how the land lies then. R-
Yes. Lets hope it continues. TT is an ideal scale. Is just the uncertanty until it is well established that is the only concern. But there again. If one buys what one needs, so one has enough, it does not make a difference whatever happens as one always has a train to enjoy!

Going back to the origional question of trying to fit a whole viaduct in a small size, I can understand the need for T scale! (With a single "T").
Tiny things those are, but the thing I found is the smaller the scale, the more one needs to keep track and wheels clean for them to run which at an exhibition, a member with a T scale layout did confirm as he spent most of the night before in cleaning tiny wheels and track!
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Nickk

Post by Nickk »

Personally I'd love the 'new' TT to be a success but I think many of us will see it as a waiting game which could lead to its failure. Back to the original question - distances of 50+ miles don't work in any form of model. I've flown full size and R/C planes and the full size circuit takes 10 - 15 mins in a cessna whereas a large Fast jet model will normally complete a circuit in around a minute. I've raced r/c and slot cars and no matter how big the track is lap times are usually around 15 second mark compared with lets say 1.5 - 2 mins for full size racing. As for space reasons as others have said you have to compromise. I am currently planning my first layout for a very long time and my thoughts are to model in scale (if thats your thing) 2 stations/goods yards /MP depots or what ever your interests are. My intention is to have 2 continous runs where trains can run as long as I want them too before being brought in to either of the 2 stations areas to be turned round/ shunted changed or whatever. Mine will purely be based on my imagination but there is no reason you couldn't model 2 acccurate scale areas space permitting. Sorry to go on and good luck with your project