Colne Valley Viaduct

Help with designing your track work
locomotive

Colne Valley Viaduct

Post by locomotive »

Has anyone thought of modelling the Colne Valley Viaduct currently being built in England? I would like to model it in HO scale but I have issues with space. Any ideas? from my estimates, the 3km viaduct will be 34 meter long in HO scale which seems impossible to implement with limited space. Any ideas guys?
Walkingthedog

Re: Colne Valley Viaduct

Post by Walkingthedog »

Compromise usually springs to mind when it comes to model railways. Just build a bit of it. Most things built to scale won’t fit on a layout, even something like a village green cricket pitch is far to big.

Not far from where we live, some amazing engineering.
Last edited by Walkingthedog on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nurse, the screens!
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

N gauge would work. still a big room needed. :(
Gixer

Post by Gixer »

I'm going though this with my son. Some of his ideas will not fit a 6'x5' layout :lol:

Its all about artistic license, as long as you can get the feeling/taste thats enough for me.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

A few ideas to ask.. Does it need to be this viaduct? What about makingones own viaduct to ones own design?

In the size you have, N scale is one choice, though another choice is narrow gauge which tends to allow the use of a larger scale in a small space. Would this bean idea? Narrow gauge in real life was used to cut costs in hilly areas as trainscan run on sharpef curves, so the savings came in less earthwork and structures to build the line, but it all depends on the "Look" one wants to achieve.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...