Removing rail joiners from Peco setrack

Help with designing your track work
Bria46

Removing rail joiners from Peco setrack

Post by Bria46 »

I wish to remove existing rail joiners from a couple of lengths of Peco setrack.
The rail joiners have been fairly well secured at the manufacturing process which I can fully understand.
Is there any simple way of removing factory fitted rail joiners without causing damage to the track?
brian1951

Re: Removing rail joiners from Peco setrack

Post by brian1951 »

A Dremel with small pointed stone, a steady hand, a pair of glasses and a little luck. Grind the joiner on the underside on top of the dimple.
Brian

Post by Brian »

If you don't want the old metal joiner you can at times pull them off with a pair of pliers, pulling in line with the rail keeping the pliers and joiner straight. Don't pull in an upwards or downwards direction as this can easily pull the rail out of the plastic rail chairs and break them.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

The joiners seem to be crimped in place [the dimple Brian1951 refers to] and they are a devil to get off. I started with everything lined up as previously advised and managed to pull the rail straight out of the chairs. Luckily, as it was not bent out of shape I could just push it back again. Good luck. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I grip the rail firmly in a pair of pliers near the joiner then twist the joiner in line with the rail with another pair of pliers.
Nurse, the screens!
IanS

Post by IanS »

Walkingthedog wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:57 pm I grip the rail firmly in a pair of pliers near the joiner then twist the joiner in line with the rail with another pair of pliers.
This is my preferred method too.