GWR themed Inglenook?

Help with designing your track work
scoobster28

GWR themed Inglenook?

Post by scoobster28 »

I'm an American modeler with an interest in OO gauge, specifically the GWR. I was thinking of building a small Inglenook (5-3-3) layout that I could store out of the way when not in use. Has anyone designed a GWR specific Inglenook layout? It doesn't have to be based on a prototype, but I would love to have a place for cattle wagons, milk tankers, and perhaps a few open wagons. Of course, when I want to have it operate in "game" mode the cars would get spotted anywhere. But, when it is just on display nice GWR themed structures and scenery would be nice.

Anyone have a plan or good reference photos that might help showing what could be done? Thanks.
Nickk

Re: GWR themed Inglenook?

Post by Nickk »

Hi Fella - I'm a GWR fan ere in the uk and lived in the area although much after it became BR. I'd just suggest design your own maybe based around the many plan ideas available on the net. I do mess about with SCARM but I honestly find a pencil and paper easaisr and more productive. With a set area I'd just be tempted to build a baseboard to fit and loosely arrange some track and see how you go. I'm by no means an expert modeller but I do know a bit about the GWR but always worth a shout if there's anything I can do to help
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I have lived in the BR WR all my life and to be honest what makes a layout or place look GWR is the locos and rolling stock. Different regions used different designs of fences and and signals but generally most other things could be anywhere in the country.
Nurse, the screens!
steel bat

Post by steel bat »

Painted surfaces on GWR station structures would generally be in a mix of two colours. Main panels in Light Stone, which was a creamy colour and detailing in Dark Stone which was something like a brown with a touch of purple

On another website I've seen the colours given as Light Stone - rgb 216,158,115 ; hex: #D89E73 & Dark Stone - rgb 167,104,87 ; hex: #A76857
-
scoobster28

Post by scoobster28 »

Thank you
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

Most of the building kits, including cattle pens, offered by Peco, Ratio and Wills seems to be at least based on GWR buildings, if not actual copies.
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS