35 years + Hornby Thomas

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
Stese

35 years + Hornby Thomas

Post by Stese »

While working on the layout that's in the For Sale section, I was testing with my Thomas, where it basically failed... it went slower and slower, and finally stopped, and caused the trip on the controller to activate.

No bother, it's not been serviced in years... so that's what I did... It's been fully stripped mechanically, right down to taking the armature out of the motor casing. I couldn't find that much wrong with it, other than a couple of long hairs and fibres which may have just got gummed up.

Everything has been cleaned in 99% IPA, reassembled and oiled with standard loco oil (tiny drops on parts like the bearings etc). In testing it worked... but it there is a massive difference in running speed for the same output forwards and backwards. I have a vague recollection that the loco has always had this quirk, but never to this degree.

I've stripped it back again to just the motor, and that seems to be the source of the issue. So, given i've just serviced it, I think i'm going to try and source a new one. Does anyone know of a 'modern' replacement that I could look for, rather than a second hand one?

Also, is my recollection of locos going faster in one direction than another common? does anyone have a fix for it?

Many thanks all!
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
teedoubleudee

Re: 35 years + Hornby Thomas

Post by teedoubleudee »

Could be the magnets need re-magnetising?
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

^Teed hi, interesting comment i have a Dodds Re magnetiser, only used it for Hornby Dublo 3 rail. Never thought about 2 rail.
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

My thoughts are that locos generally spend far more time going forwards so the motor and other parts get bedded in better and reduce drag.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

yelrow wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:09 pm ^Teed hi, interesting comment i have a Dodds Re magnetiser, only used it for Hornby Dublo 3 rail. Never thought about 2 rail.
Hi John, hope you're keeping well. It's just that I have watched vids in the past where locos have found a new lease of life with sunstantial increased performance. Permanent magnets do lose their magnetism over time and the OP is talking about 35 years!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Teed, yup, heather just had heart minor op but ok. Had not thought that magnetiser would work on 00 locos, so will investigate. Have the odd poor running one i could try.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

yelrow wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:29 am Teed, yup, heather just had heart minor op but ok. Had not thought that magnetiser would work on 00 locos, so will investigate. Have the odd poor running one i could try.
You can do these yourselves using a kit supplied by Ronald Dodds, here is a review by our old friend Sam's Trains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVCLjYaK_mg
Stese

Post by Stese »

teedoubleudee wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:33 pm Could be the magnets need re-magnetising?
I'll investigate that, thanks :)
Rog (RJ) wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:26 pm My thoughts are that locos generally spend far more time going forwards so the motor and other parts get bedded in better and reduce drag.
Fair point!

Thanks for the responses!

:)
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.