Faded inkjet printed buildings

Help with layout scenics
AustralianLMS

Faded inkjet printed buildings

Post by AustralianLMS »

I have just taken a peek at my layout buildings after a couple of years of storage.

All of the inkjet printed building have faded quite severely. The bricks are literally pink.

They will have to be re built. (Scratch built and Scalescenes)

Given that the inkjet faded so severely, what should I do to keep my future work to a archival standard?
Brian

Re: Faded inkjet printed buildings

Post by Brian »

I spray all ink jet printed paper as soon as its dried with at least a couple of coats of matt varnish then a light overspray once the paper has been glued in its final place and dried, this is done before adding any window glazing. The varnish is as used in artwork or photo framing etc to prevent discolouration and fading.
The one I tend to use most is Ghiant matt varnish Example link But any matt varnish should offer protection once the ink has dried
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Stese

Post by Stese »

Laser Printer toner has a reputation for lasting better than Inkjet ink. If you know anyone who has access to a laser printer, it might pay you to ask them for a favour. I think you'd also do well following brian's suggests, no matter which printing type you use.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
AustralianLMS

Post by AustralianLMS »

Thanks .... I suspected as much.

I didn't expect it to fade as drastically as it did however.

It has also faded very uneven. Some buildings are fine and others are bright pink.

Thanks.