Hello

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
Garry247

Hello

Post by Garry247 »

Hello just joined, thanks for letting me in.
I am pretty much a complete novice at anything model railways and have started an OO gauge DCC layout although I did have a go some 20-30 years ago in the early days of DCC as I remember, but we ended up moving house quite early into it… Retired now and thought time to have another go and it may be good to keep a kind of photo diary of hopefully any progress made here on the forum and learn from any comments made, it looks a great place to learn and ask for advice..
Plan was to have a bit of play around and see how I get on in a small loft / storage space we had available hopefully learning from that before moving into a much larger room, but looking at how long things are taking I’ve maybe left things a bit late for that, I can’t see me ever getting into the large room 😀
Regards to everyone
Garry
Brian

Re: Hello

Post by Brian »

Hi Gary
Welcome to the Forum.
Please ask if you have any questions, I'm sure someone (or more than one!) will offer good advice :D
We look forward to you keeping us updated on your progress
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Hi Gary and welcome to our forum
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Welcome to the friendly helpful forum Garry. Thinking smaller may be the best way to go. I have a shed layout and whilst it’s not by any means overwhelming, if I was to start again I would go smaller and really concentrate on detailing.
Del57

Post by Del57 »

Welcome on board Garry. Mine's a similar story - started a layout some 20+ years ago, only to move house and lacking space in the new abode to start another one.

I've only been putting my new layout together for about 6 months, so have found it a steep learning curve having also decided to go DCC, but the guys on here are very helpful if you find yourself stuck, or with a problem you are struggling to solve, so feel free to ask away.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Welcome Garry. You’ll get all the help you need on here plus a bit of humour.
Last edited by Walkingthedog on Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Welcome Garry - You have joined a great forum - lots of help, information and fun. First tip - move into the larger room asap - they have a habit of being swallowed up for other purposes. Let us know how you get on.
Garry247

Post by Garry247 »

Thanks very much to all for the welcome. Will start a thread in the layout section...
Although entirely fictitious in detail going to call it Little Mill Junction as the name has connections for us..
Regards
Garry
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Hi, Garry, Barry, is right. Little point in building it all, only to have to dismantle later, when you run out of space.Small layouts only lead to frustration, as everyone soon gets bored and expands.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Welcome .
I am on my seventh layout, all in different places and various sizes.
1. Great big loft layout, but not finished as I prepared to move overseas.
2. Loft layout transformed into modular form in the garage getting ready to go.
3. Full size folded-8 layout in spare bedroom in new house overseas.
4. Reduced in size to L-shape to make bed-space for visitors who never turned up.
5. Didn’t get on with end-to-end so made a roundy-round 8x4 test track on castors.
6. Kitchen table test track as and when required in a holiday lodge back in UK,
7. Converted single garage.Happy now.
There will be no more layouts.