Installing point motors

Help with designing your track work
Nine Elms

Installing point motors

Post by Nine Elms »

I am about to install some solenoid motors to my points and wondered if it is necessary/advisable to remove the tiny spring to aid operation?
Tricky Dicky

Re: Installing point motors

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Nine Elms wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:02 pm I am about to install some solenoid motors to my points and wondered if it is necessary/advisable to remove the tiny spring to aid operation?
No the spring is required when using solenoid motors as once the current to the solenoid is cut there is only the spring to hold the point in place. The spring is only removed for stall type motors such as Tortoise or Cobalt which continue to draw power to hold the rails in place. The spring is also not required for servo motors.

Richard
jed10

Post by jed10 »

Tricky Dicky wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:15 pm The spring is only removed for stall type motors such as Tortoise or Cobalt which continue to draw power to hold the rails in place.
Whilst you are correct about the springs, that's not true about Cobalts needing power to retain the switch rails in place. I can't speak for Tortoise motors as I have no experience of using them. However, with a Cobalt motor, it is the sprung steel throw wire that maintains the tension to hold the switch rails in place once the motor has thrown. This is the case even if no power at all is applied to the motor. In idle mode a Cobalt IP Digital motor draws less than 5mA because all it is doing is listening for a new dcc command.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Nine Elms wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:02 pm I am about to install some solenoid motors to my points and wondered if it is necessary/advisable to remove the tiny spring to aid operation?
Hi
As Richard has clearly and correctly stated, do not remove the Over Centre spring when using Solenoid point motors, such as Peco, Hornby, Seep etc. The only exception might be the Seep PM4 which has a built-in mechanical locking mechanism, but personally I wouldn't bother with PM4 anyway!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Nine Elms

Post by Nine Elms »

Thank you all for your replies.

John
FattishBoy

Post by FattishBoy »

Brian wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:50 am
Hi
As Richard has clearly and correctly stated, do not remove the Over Centre spring when using Solenoid point motors, such as Peco, Hornby, Seep etc. The only exception might be the Seep PM4 which has a built-in mechanical locking mechanism, but personally I wouldn't bother with PM4 anyway!
Brian, if you don't mind me asking I bought a PM4 by mistake, can I still use it like a PM1 or PM2 or will I have to remove the spring from the point?
I suppose I could just buy another PM1.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Just use the PM4 as you would normally with any other PMx or other make . No need to remove the Over Centre point spring. :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website