3 Way Asymmetrical addressing

Mr Bones

3 Way Asymmetrical addressing

Post by Mr Bones »

Hi All
I'm fitting a Peco code 75 Asymmetrical 3 Way point. The two outward tracks (left and right) are then connecting to additional two way points. All will be controlled by Cobalt Digital IP point motors.

My question is about addressing those motors. The two way points will be addressed as 73 left and 74 right. To allow the two way and three way to work together can I address the two points on the 3 way with the corresponding 73 & 74 for left or right or how would they all need to be the same?

Never had a 3 way before :( :lol:

Hope that made sense :D
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
Rog (RJ)

Re: 3 Way Asymmetrical addressing

Post by Rog (RJ) »

I think it could be quite tricky and confusing to operate.
RFS

Post by RFS »

It's not strictly a 3-way point but 2 ordinary points partially overlaid on each other - hence asymmetrical. Unlike with a true 3-way point, each point can be independently switched. I have several of these turnouts on my layout, and on my switchboard have them simply represented as individual points. Makes it a lot easier to see how things woirk, especially as one is part of a crossover whose other point is part of a double slip! I have double slips also represented as two points as well.
Robert Smith
jed10

Post by jed10 »

I guess it depends how you are controlling your points. I use a Z21 and touch screen control which would be very simple. Just set up three 'route' pushbuttons for the different configuration combinations.
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Thanks for the replies. In fact after reading RFS's comment I did set them up (after a few failed attempts at numbering them the same) as single numbered points.
I also use the Z21, but for some reason using routes didn't dawn on me till later (despite already having some set up).
With the single numbering and routes in place the whole thing works really well.
Thanks again.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!