Can anyone help me please

Help with designing your track work
HasB12

Can anyone help me please

Post by HasB12 »

Hiya, this is my first layout. im building it in a shed 12x8, im trying to save some of the space in the shed for a worktop and tool storage.
ive already made B1 and B2. ive started laying track and started scenic on B1 probably a bit premature i know! :lol:
ive been trying to figure out how to get the branch line high than the mainline in the space ive got but im not sure if its possible
Ive attached my unfinished track plan as ive come to a bit of a mind blank! :?
im using code 100 in oo gauge

Any help would be appreciated!!!

many thnaks
harry
Steve M

Re: Can anyone help me please

Post by Steve M »

Obviously you will need to introduce a slope but gradients need to be as gentle as possible, 1:45 or better. In other words to lift a track by 10cm you need a slope of over 400 cm . The longest run in your shed (same size as mine) is under 300cm which means you will have to put part of the slope on a curve - this increases drag which means you have to reduce the gradient by lengthening the slope.
But all is not lost. I got round the problem on mine where the branch line goes under the mainline, by lowering the branch line into a dip and raising the mainline. So with one going down by say 5cm and the other going up by the same amount, you share the gradient between the lines and effectively halve it.
Not easy to achieve with solid baseboards but it can be done.

This may help to explain - the single track dives under the mainline which has been raised slightly - both tracks start at the same level as the leave the station. There is just enough clearance - but only just.

Image2021-10-24_07-19-11 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
HasB12

Post by HasB12 »

Cheers Steve M for the reply, i get what you mean about the two tracks going up and down. not sure if could implement this in my layout, ill have to look into it a bit more. Have you got anymore pictures i could see please, :)
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

HasB12 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:38 pm Cheers Steve M for the reply, i get what you mean about the two tracks going up and down. not sure if could implement this in my layout, ill have to look into it a bit more. Have you got anymore pictures i could see please, :)
Plenty on my West Orton thread in member’s Layouts.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

I agree with everything Steve has said and it’s a method I used, oddly enough on a 12x8 (ft) layout. Hopefully from the image you will be able to see the far left tracks rise, whilst the next group of four descend. Hope this helps.

HasB12

Post by HasB12 »

Carl L wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:48 pm I agree with everything Steve has said and it’s a method I used, oddly enough on a 12x8 (ft) layout. Hopefully from the image you will be able to see the far left tracks rise, whilst the next group of four descend. Hope this helps.

cheers for the carl, think i might leave the inclines for the next layout
HasB12

Post by HasB12 »

little update, ive made bored 3 and 4 now, ive had a change of plan, im going to build the main line 10cm above the base board. i think ill start with the mainline then decide later if i want a branch line or not, ill be keeping the branch and mainline separated on the layout as i cant seam to make a plan where the tracks can meet with the 5cm difference.

Here is the new track plan, if anyone has any concerns or ideas for it im all ears.

any help is really appreciated
fourtytwo

Post by fourtytwo »

I don't know what era this is or how close you want to be to the prototype but all those facing points on the mainline are an accident waiting to happen!
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I have not had problems with facing points, they have the real thing at High Wycombe.
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Facing points are used throughout the UK railways They are locked into position by a Facing Point Lock (FPL) which is often a mechanical lock ensuring the point blades are in the correct position. On non mechanical or point motor operated faccing points such as Clamp locks, the FPL action is a phisical lock on the clamp lock mecanism.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website