Signals

Help with designing your track work
Andrew_ECML

Signals

Post by Andrew_ECML »

I'm building a modern day layout themed around the ECML. I'm unsure what signals I should be using however? Is there a guide somewhere on how to determine if it should be a 2/3/4 aspect signal?

Locations I think I should have a signal:

Down Mainline:
My station has a through line in both directions and a platform in both directions, on the downline these 4 tracks converge into 2. I think I should be having 2 lights as it leaves the station, but should these be 2 aspect or 3?

I have a Y junction where the mainline splits off and the branch line spurs off to the right. Do I need a signal here?

I plan on putting a signal next to the tunnel mouth

Up Mainline (a bit more straightforward?):
I have the same Y junction, but this time the Branch is converging from the left.

In the station there is the through line which serves only the mainline, and then there is the platform for stopping which serves both the mainline and branch.

Down Branch:
Above mentioned signals, but also 1 signal for leaving the branchline station.

Up Branch:
Above mentioned signals, but also 1 for leaving branchline station.
Brian

Re: Signals

Post by Brian »

A modern ECML layout will use mainly four aspect colour light signals.
Rule 1 ... However you have to use "Modellers Licence" where signalling is involved, as compression needs to be used and some signals will have to be Off Stage so to speak.

Where a diverging route exists a signal will control the approach to the junction The main line route will show conventional aspect - Red, Yellow, Double Yellow or Green while the diverging route will show a Junction Indicator (Feather) - row of 5 white lights to the left or right depending on which way the diverging track leads off to and a proceed aspect.

To make matters worse on high-speed sections of the ECML they use flashing aspects on the single Yellow and 2nd Yellow aspects and on some the green aspects (140MPH lines) ! But unless you have a massive layout you will need to use Rule 1 above!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website