sticking valve gear

Walkingthedog

Re: sticking valve gear

Post by Walkingthedog »

Pictures are always useful.
Nurse, the screens!

Post by 508035 »

Here are the pictures of the R398 Scotsman loco ( formerly tender driven ) now fitted with an X04 motor. I also need to state a correction further to my post regarding the conversion. I incorrectly stated that it was a grey coloured gear glued to the axle., this is not the case, it is 1 of the black gears with more terth on it but here are the pictures anyway.

In the pictures where there are wires showing I wish to state for the record that it doesn't bother me having wires showing and as my layout is unlikely to ever be an exhibit at a model railway exhibition it's ok that they are visible but would be rerouted under the parcels coach and tender to look like brake pipes etc if I ever did exhibit my layout but its a long way off any standard for exhibition.

Anyway I hope you all like the pictures and if anybody has any questions please don't hesitate to ask them and I will endeavour to answer your questions / queries as best I can.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

That is quite a conversion. Pretty satisfying to do something like that.
Nurse, the screens!

Post by 508035 »

I must admit, it surprised me just how easy it was given that the loco's original 2nd axle was retained for use instead of a triang A3 axle which has the little grips ( not sure what the actual name is ) for the gear and if it ever becomes loose on the axle, all I need to do is take the axle out and glue the gear in place again or swap it for the triang axle.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Just in case it has not been mentioned, has one checked the wheel quartering alignment?
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...