WC/BoB R30129

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
grumpyoldgit

WC/BoB R30129

Post by grumpyoldgit »

I am endeavouring to fit a decoder chip in my new BoB (new model?) but am having great difficulty in getting the tender body off the chassis. According to the Hornby instruction leaflet it should separate by pullling down and rearwards on the chassis once the rear screws have been removed and the handbrake moulding extracted from its position.
I had problems disconnecting the power supply lead as the plug is flush in the socket and the Hornby extractor tool had nothing to grip; I had to gently prise the plug out a bit before the recesses in the side of it were exposed for the tool to grip.
So, are there a couple of lugs inside at the front to disengage as when I attempt to remove the chassis all I can see is the tender front step (fall-plate ?) flexing.
At the moment very grumpy old git!!!
Rog (RJ)

Re: WC/BoB R30129

Post by Rog (RJ) »

Sorry, can't help with this.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

If I remember correctly, there is an L shaped moulding at the front of the tender body that clips under the front edge of the tender chassis. Try lifting the body and rotating it as if that moulding is a hinge.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
grumpyoldgit

Post by grumpyoldgit »

Thank you! Success! Many thanks for the information.
There are two lugs protruding forward on the front of the tender body that engage in slots in the chassis, but they are a tight fit and without any taper so it is a matter of pulling the tender body downwards until the moulding at the rear which contains the securing screws is just clear of the body then wiggling it carefully but firmly to disengage the lugs.
Another example of poorly written instructions. All it needs is a few lines to indicate the lugs and an extra sentence in the instructions and the process would be much easier to understand!
From past experience with manuals in many other trades and appliances the author knows what needs to be done and is familiar with the components but fails to express the process in terms that can be understood by a person who is not conversant with concealed items.