resistor for 12v lighting

Tricky Dicky

Re: resistor for 12v lighting

Post by Tricky Dicky »

It is hard to tell from the photos, but the sure fire way to find out which are filament and which are LED is; filament lights will light up whichever way they are connected LEDs will only emit light if wired in correct polarity. Reversing polarity will establish which are LEDs.

Richard
Brian

Re: resistor for 12v lighting

Post by Brian »

dtb wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:18 pm that's great help thanks Brian.

See pics of the lights I refer to, tall single and double prefitted with resistors and short single and double that don't have resistors.

Looking at the lights am I correct that the tall ones appear to be LED and the short lights are filament?

As a side question, does anyone have any of the cream coloured Airfix lamp post bases they don't need as they help keeping the lamp upright due to only having a small circular base at the bottom.

Thanks again
Hi
As Richard has said only real way is to use a DC power source and test them. - Ensure you add a series resistor though!

Normally you drill an appropriate size hole - size of the bottom part of the post and "Plant" the post into the hole. Adding a small smear of glue around the posts bottom section that goes into the hole helps too - Uhu etc is fine
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website