00 Class 52

Post here items relating to Heljan.
MervynJSt0kes

00 Class 52

Post by MervynJSt0kes »

I have an 00 gauge class 52, bought in 2007. I want to put a sound decoder in the loco. Has anyone else converted one of these locos to sound, and if so what encoder did you use please ? Currently an 8 pin socket, with head and tail lights able to be switched on. Thanks Mervyn Stokes
Hound Dog

Re: 00 Class 52

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi Mervyn,

I have fitted sound to four of my Class 52 locomotives, including two Heljan models which have an 8 pin DCC interface so I assume yours is probably a similar model. The good news is that there is quite a selection of Class 52 sound projects available, all of which can be loaded on to a 8 pin decoder - both of my 8 pin versions are Loksound V5 decoders.

The sound project is a matter of personal choice and I have one each from Engineman (Jamie Goodman), Youchoos, LegomanBiffo and South West Digital - they are all excellent and subtly different...........I think somewhere on my "Diesel Hydraulics at Portencross" layout thread there is a video of a Green Western Yeoman with the Youchoos sound - this is a 21pin Dapol model with a Zimo decoder, but I am sure they also do an 8 pin version.

The installation is relatively simple as there is quite a bit of space available, however I have gone for two approaches in order to fit speakers that can give enhanced bass - the Western Maybach engines deserve this !

To make this easy I cut some plasticard squares and secured these with black tack between the end of the pcb and the back of cab housing.....you can do this at one end or both if you want to fit dual speakers.......all of the above decoders / sound projects run with 4 ohm speahers and there is good guidance available on the web re wiring speakers in series or parallel.

Alternatively you can go with just one speaker and the Zimo Double Dumbo ( 2 speakers in 1) is easy to wire and gives good sound........if you feel brave you can even go for a large speaker and locate it within the fuel tank.

All of the above sound projects / Loksound decoders can be bought from a number of sources ( I regularly use Richard Croft at Road and Rails, as he will solder the speaker and a stay alive to the decoder and this makes installation easy).......the exception is the Youchoos sound project which uses only Zimo decoders ( I have found these to equally as good) and Youchoos will also solder everything up for you - one thing I particularly like about Youchoos is the accompanying literature which is very thorough and well presented ( eg function codes, driving tips and CV values etc).

Regardless of the options you chose, I am afraid you will be £110 upwards depending on what you ask for.......if you are nervous soldering on to an expensive decoder my advice ( from bitter experience) is to pay the dosh and let somebody else take the risk......also buy the best speaker that you can afford and will fit in the installation, as often the speaker is what makes the real difference.

I hope the above is helpful but any questions pls ask.......however I have found all of the suppliers to be very helpful and they often have videos on-line for you to listen to various sound projects or speakers etc......Finally I have no association with any of the above suppliers other than that of a satisfied customer.

Cheers - Richard

Hound Dog

Re: 00 Class 52

Post by Hound Dog »

Now with images ( hopefully)…..