Convert a 8 Ringfield Motor to DCC

lardenr

Convert a 8 Ringfield Motor to DCC

Post by lardenr »

Hi, I purchased recently Hornby County class "Hogwarts express" but it was the older version. The details can be found here https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/art ... stle-Class

Is this worth converting to DCC, and is this one straightforward or does anyone know of any guides? I understand that there maybe some insulation of the motor from the body has to be done.

Many thanks in advance

Richard
IanS

Re: Convert a 8 Ringfield Motor to DCC

Post by IanS »

Converting a ringfield motor to DCC is usually quite straightforward. I've done quite a few but none of them were steam locos.

Make sure, if you can, that the loco is a good runner with good pickups before attempting a conversion.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Ringfield conversions are indeed possible but the three thing you must ensure are...
1) As stated, the loco must run faultlessly on DC power. Any hesitancy to start or general poor running must be resolved before a DCC conversion is undertaken. If it is a poor runner on DC it will be far worse on DCC!
2) Choose a decoder that has a lot of motor control available by CV adjustments. Here I would opt for a Zimo or Lenz silver decoder.
3) Before connecting the decoder you MUST test that the left-hand silver brush strip is isolated from the tender wheels and any metal of the motor. How this insulation is carried out will depend on the type of Ringfield motor (there are at least two different types!) Failure to test and remove any connection will result in immediate and total decoder failure when DCC is applied!
There are many articles on conversion. One such is here Scroll down a little to the Ringfield article.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
lardenr

Post by lardenr »

Great many thanks for the replies. I will look into this. It seems to be a good runner, I have tested on track, and a hornby railroad in both directions, seems fine.
lardenr

Post by lardenr »

This is the type of Ringfield, an H38. I have also got your book Brian as well, and recommended to a couple of friends as well. it's very good!