Check out the model shops first

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
sandy

Check out the model shops first

Post by sandy »

Wonder what others think.
I am beginning to think that often buying things on Ebay is often dearer than checking out the Model shops. Again today I have bought a new
Scene Craft oo building New and cheaper than any offerings on Ebay. Sometimes I find that the smaller lesser known shops are trying hard to compete.
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Re: Check out the model shops first

Post by Walkingthedog »

I don’t think brand new items are cheaper on eBay, it is just a good place to look for second hand things and stuff that is difficult to get from a shop, e.g, 5 litres of IPA.
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:03 am I don’t think brand new items are cheaper on eBay, it is just a good place to look for second hand things and stuff that is difficult to get from a shop, e.g, 5 litres of IPA.
Yes realise that Brian. I was looking for this building S/H But I found a brand new one from a shop for lot less than S/H one on Ebay. I have found locos cheaper at model shops as well. I just mean you should have good look around when looking for something. You may save money looking further than Ebay. There are sellers who ask silly prices hoping to catch people out.
Sandy
sandy

Post by sandy »

sandy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:17 pm
Walkingthedog wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:03 am I don’t think brand new items are cheaper on eBay, it is just a good place to look for second hand things and stuff that is difficult to get from a shop, e.g, 5 litres of IPA.
Yes realise that Brian. I was looking for this building S/H But I found a brand new one from a shop for lot less than S/H one on Ebay. I have found locos cheaper at model shops as well. I just mean you should have good look around when looking for something. You may save money looking further than Ebay. There are sellers who ask silly prices hoping to catch people out. Offering Buy it now prices way above some of the Model shops for new and S/H.
Sandy
sandy

Post by sandy »

Whoops sorry got 2 posts up after amending it. Post 3 amended.
Sandy

Post by 508035 »

I have just recently received a Hornby class 66 motor bogie which was purchased from a peters spares listing on ebay for £18 + £3.50 p&p so all in £21.50 for a motor bogie, not bad I'd say.

As a result I now have a Lima class 66 runn8ng with a Hornby class 66 motor bogie, I scratch built the little tower at the motor bogie end for the clip piece on the top of the bogie and after filing down the 80 thou plasticard for the clip to attach into ( once it was all wired correctly I must add ) I now have a much quieter Lima freightliner class 66 running much better than it did when I received it.

I would like to add that this motor bogie was complete ( including the bogie side frame moulding ) and was cheaper than the actual Lima motor for the same loco which was being offered in a completely different listing not from Peter's Spares, a private sale I think it was, for £36.99 and the seller wanted to charger I think another 3 or £4.00 for p&p. I dread to think how much I would pay had I took the loco to a shop for repair.

I think it's mainly a matter of looking through as many listing's as possible but as farcas ebay goes, I mainly try to save any searches I do with only the buy it now option, that way you getca straight up no messing price and can decide whether the stated price is suitable and more in line with what you would expect to pay or if it is too dear, continue looking through until you find the item with a buy iy now price you will be happy to pay, works for me.

I have also got another maroon suburban coach on it's way to me aswell, that cost £23.79 in total ( p&p £3.79 ) so along with the motor bogie in total I paid £45.29. The motor bogie was brand new and the coach 2nd hand, brand new the coach would probably be around 45 - 50.00 now.

The best advice I can give on this last day of 2023 is if you can find an item you want at a good price on a buy it now is buy it there and then because all to often ( as has been the case for me ) you can end up missing out and it can be quite some time before another item like it appears again.

Anyway all thats left for me to do is wish everyone well and I hope 2024 is a better year for us all.
sandy

Post by sandy »

I'm glad you are happy 508035 .....Iv been using Ebay since 1997 so I think I know how it works thank you................ Sandy
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Must admit if I sold something on eBay worth £20 and somebody paid me £80 for it I'd be delighted.
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:24 pm Must admit if I sold something on eBay worth £20 and somebody paid me £80 for it I'd be delighted.
So would I Brian.
I normally make loses. But going to be putting a good few Locos on there this new year. Sell off all my older locos. Have come to conclusion that better running newer locos are more fun than older ones that don't run so well. I think I remember your past advice Brian. Think remember you saying similar things to that. Happy new year :D :D :D
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I guess it depends if you prefer running locos or repairing them. I am now definitely with the former.
Happy New Year Sandy.
Nurse, the screens!