Peco vs Legacy Models Bullhead track ?

Too Tall

Peco vs Legacy Models Bullhead track ?

Post by Too Tall »

Has anyone got a picture of both next to one another so I could compare the looks directly please ?
I already have some Peco points and flex (not yet unpackaged), but the legacy flex is available in smaller packs, so would work out more economic for me.

I read also somewhere, that oddly there is a small difference in height between the Peco flex rails and the point rails. I wondered if that is true and if so, is the Legacy any better in that respect ?
Walkingthedog

Re: Peco vs Legacy Models Bullhead track ?

Post by Walkingthedog »

I model O gauge and the Peco bullhead flexi and points are exactly the same height.
Nurse, the screens!
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

I had read it somewhere, but have to say I trial fitted a flex piece and point today, and it did feel the same height, and a test wagon seemed to be perfectly fine rolling over the join without issue or hint of a bump. So the rest of the Peco track has been ordered 8-)
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Track of the same code ie. Code 75 or Code 100 should have the same height even between manufacturers as the 75 and 100 are actual measurements. For Code 75 = 0.075” and Code 100 = 0.1” which means that all track sections of the same code should have the same rail height therefore no difference in height. Where you may find differences is in sleeper thickness between manufacturers and depending how it is laid produce a different rail height but it can easily be compensated.
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

Should be yes, the write up I read said there was a small difference, but it may well been a teething issue as I think it was when the code75 bullhead was first released, my only issue was a slight burr on one rail of the flex, which will be sorted when I lay it.
I am going to have to be careful - I planed for 2 more lengths than SCARM told me I need, but rails only had enough single lengths to get me to one over :lol:

I must admit, given the amount of Model railway reviews/you tube videos, I was surprised no one has done a direct comparison between Peco and Legacy Models code75 00 bullhead track.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I had not heard of Legacy track until you mentioned it here.

Been using Peco for decades without any problems so wouldn’t change now.

I guess if I was just starting out I would look to see what was recommended.

I think one of the moans amongst rivet counters is the sleeper spacing with Peco but it looks good enough for me. I wouldn’t know if it was wrong unless it was glaringly obvious.
Nurse, the screens!
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

Sleeper spacing looks good to me too, an improvement over HO track and euro sleeper spacing for sure.
No idea if the sleeper spacing is different on the legacy, If I could buy one length of it I would out of curiosity, but I can only find it in packs of 12 minimum.