The Simon Kholer Ultimate Black 5!!!

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
dtb

The Simon Kholer Ultimate Black 5!!!

Post by dtb »

So going back to 2022 if my memory serves me correct, he promised an ultimate Black 5, steam sound, lights etc etc.

Seems he did a runner after that statement, but now the LMS livery release has been given some poor reviews from the regular youtube critics.

I had the BR livery pre-ordered but on these poor youtube reviews I decided to cancel because issues are apparent with the loco and I do not want start fannying about should I receive a faulty loco. I spend a lot of money on loco's and want out of the box running with no issues, however it seems Hornby have got it wrong yet again.
Too Tall

Re: The Simon Kholer Ultimate Black 5!!!

Post by Too Tall »

It does appear that its mostly manufacturing issues, and possibly tolerance or material issues with the tender connection.
TBH I was interested in getting a black 5 but due to the cost of the new analogue model alone I ended up getting a new old stock "Going Home" set with a "super detailed" black 5 and 3 detailed LMS coaches for less than the discounted shops were selling the new black 5. For someone just starting out in OO that seemed a much better proposition. I did also think the new model looked a bit blingy, and that helped tip my decision. possibly the new one is more accurate, but the version from that 2015 set looks good and plenty detailed enough for me, so maybe I dodged a bullet !
dtb

Post by dtb »

Totally agree, pretty sure I dodged the bullet also.

I have Stanier Mogul, 2 Compounds and a 4F that require sound which I think will be money better spent, also missed the Accurascale Torquay Manor which I need to find.
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

I also just bought a Manor DCC sound fitted but went for the Dapol (Compton Manor). After watching videos, I preferred how the Dapol was a better crawler on analogue, had no groaning noises, and it sounded better (but thats hard to tell from a video TBH). No doubt at some point I will buy an Accurascale loco as they look fantastic.
I found it new for £240, which I thought wasn't terrible.
dtb

Post by dtb »

Hi T T

My Dapol sound fitted 'Lydham Manor' arrived last week and I think it's money better spent and I am really pleased with the quality and the performance on DCC, it was £245 inc post from Bure Valley Models.