Britannia class 7MT

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
Too Tall

Britannia class 7MT

Post by Too Tall »

Does anyone know if these can have chassis/ tender swaps/upgrades relatively simply ?
I have access to a free R2484 "Boadicea" which looks like its a tender drive version, although it says its DCC ready.
And the other is R2565 "Oliver Cromwell", which is loco driven but has the DCC socket in the loco.

As I will want to run them DCC, can they be easily swapped out for newer chassis/ tenders ?

Re: Britannia class 7MT

Post by 508035 »

The only recommendation I have is to take both bodies off the chassis and try a gentle test fit of the loco driven chassis into the body of the tender drive loco, never try to force the body onto the loco driven chassis just incase there is something that may prevent the body sitting properly on the chassis.

If the loco body from the tender driven version fits with no interference from the chassis parts, only then would I try to screw it down ( not too tight ) and see how it sits on the chassis once it's fixed in place. I tried something similar with the Hornby A1/ A3 locomotives in a bid to try and upgrade the older R398 version of Flying Scotsman ( 1980s / 90s version ) although that failed badly, however, as far as the 7MT is concerned, that does not mean to say it isn'tpossiblee as the inside is more open than the A3 locomotive so you might have better luck than I did.

I have recently been rebuilding a loco drive britannia class loco myself and I am pleased to say I managed to get it working.
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

Thanks 508035 :D
I fear my question may be academic, as the only 2006 chassis and tender chassis I could find on ebay was a rather steep £75 !
Any reference I can find is the latest being a 2006 model with the socket in the loco body according to Hornby service sheet.

This Locoyard article shows it in tender :? https://locoyard.com/2012/06/20/hornby- ... ing-guide/ so IDK when that happened !

I only need one of them so I will plump for the later one and see about converting it to a tender socket mount for DCC (if it isn't).
RFS

Post by RFS »

Hornby did start moving the DCC socket to the tender after 2006 for many models, and this included provision for a speaker. I have 70004 as shown in that guide and it indeed has the socket in the tender. I also have both loco-mounted and tender-mounted models of Bulleid Pacifics, King Arthurs etc.

I find it much easier with the socket in the tender, as there's plenty of space for the decoder of your choice (invariably Lenz Standard+) for mine, plus you don't have to prise the loco body off the chassis.
Robert Smith